15

Chapter dedicated to @_torch for the great job they did on the new cover! Thank you x

'I need to go, don't do anything uncharacteristically stupid and don't leave the school grounds alone. I'll be back by last period.

-J'

Jett had left in the middle of lunch with the above text message and a note signed by her 'parents' saying that she needed to leave for a doctor's appointment. He wanted to know whether or not they had any further leads on the whole drug lord business but she didn't offer him any information. Not to mention, he doubted she'd just tell him if he asked. Jett didn't like things easy like that. He had wanted to go with her—even the thought of seeing Shanks again was more appealing than double calculus—but he knew she wouldn't let him. Especially after he almost got himself killed last time.

By the time he saw her again after school she looked even more annoyed than normal. A sight that he didn't think was physically possible until that moment.

"Everything okay?" He asked cautiously as he approached. She was staring straight ahead, eyes directed towards a random car in the parking lot but the look on her face was vacant.

At his words her eyes flicked towards him, a quiet rage simmering within them. She let out a long breath.

"Fine." She replied as she handed him his helmet and proceeded to get on the bike, signifying the end of the conversation.

Kayden sighed, promised himself that one day he'd get an honest response out of her, before getting on as well.

****

"You know, I think the only reason you won't let me drive is so you have an excuse for me to wrap my arms around you." Kayden suggested as the two entered the apartment.

Even though he was walking behind her, he could feel Jett roll her eyes.

"Don't flatter yourself."

"So does that mean I can drive next time?" He asked hopefully. It wasn't exactly that Jett was a bad driver. It was just that she tended to go incredibly fast and was convinced that she could fit into spaces which any reasonable person would deem too tight to fit into.

"Have you ever driven a motorcycle before?" She questioned sceptically as she made her way to the kitchen.

"Well, no but—"

"Then no, you can't." she interrupted before he got a chance to make his case "I refuse to have you get us killed."

"I-I get us killed?!" Kayden spluttered in shock, "you almost lost a mirror today!"

Jett just shrugged, turning to face him from where she was rummaging through some of the cupboards. "But I didn't because I know that I'm doing." She shot back.

Before Kayden could respond, Jinx came running into the living room. Her blue pigtails were slightly lopsided and she was still wearing her pyjamas which gave the impression that she had stayed in bed all day.

"I've got something!" She announced excitedly, her cheeks flushed as if she had just run a marathon. "I had to get through some government firewalls but I have the stuff you asked for."

Jett raised her eyebrows, which he guessed was her version of looking impressed, before following Jinx to her room.

Kayden, though uninvited, trailed behind them. He wasn't quite sure where he fit into all of it as, technically, by being a "PINOP" his job was to not get killed. But seeing as he was already living with three trained assassins, he figured he had that covered. All he could do in return was try to contribute to the job in any way possible.