It's better being numb if you're cracking at the heart

The morning sun peered desperately through the curtains, searching for a victim, and I was the unlucky person in its sights. The single bed was so comfortable and sleep invited me, clawing me back, but it was too late now. Wakefulness had claimed me, kicking and screaming. I had no choice but to face the day.

I plopped my legs over the bed, remembering my laziness last night as I stare at my leggings rising up at the ankle, that I was still wearing. The smell of bacon cooking on a pan greeted me, something I wasn't going to complain about. Shrugging the quilt away I was surprised by how warm it actually was.

Slipping of my bed I padded over the floor into the hall, following my nose like a bloodhound follows its hunt. The walls were undecorated but a dark cream, plush beige carpet cushioned my feet, a warm hue was cast over everything by the lights. Heading to what I assumed was the kitchen I rounded the corner, opening into a large room with white marble counter tops, and a half naked James at the stove.

“Urm, hey there.” I cough awkwardly, trying to force my eyes to my feet. He flicked his eyes back to me over his shoulder before quickly muttering 'Hey, can you go wake Sam and Cam? Their going to have huge hangovers so I though bacon might cure us all!” But with the way his words hung I could tell his head was already paining him.

“Yeah.. sure.”

I headed back down the corridor trying to work out what rooms the boys were in, after all when I came back to James' last night with the guys I was too busy helping James and trying to keep my calm to bother seeing where they went. I hesitantly pushed open the first door on my right. Bingo!

“Oi, Sam, get your arse up!” I yelled, only to hear a painful groan from under the mass of quilts in the blackened room. Rolling my eyes I added “There's bacon.” and with that Sam shot out of bed. Pausing to hold onto the dressing table in what I assume as an attempt to steady his hungover head.

“Man, I need painkillers.” He murmured as he stumbled past me through the door. Well that was easy. One down, one to go.

The door to the left was already open, and from the wreck inside I easily guessed it'd be Cam's. Because hell, no matter how drunk James was he just had to fold his jeans... he was very organised to say the least. With a quick peek I knew he wasn't in there. Picking up speed as my body fully awoke, I basically bounded for the next door.

“Hey, Cam, it's time to get your - Woah, I am so fucking sorry! Okay, backing out, backing out!” I yelled nervously edging away from what I just saw. No matter how much a girl loves a guy as a friend, the last thing you want to see is them bollock naked getting out of a shower.

“Stop the shouting... for god sake woman.” Pleaded Cam as he did whatever he was doing in there.

“Urm... well I came to tell you bacon's cooked and to wake the fuck up... not scare the hell out of me. Love you really though, Cam.”

“Oh, I bet you do. Now let me go get changed in peace. Normally I'm not fussed about an audience, but you're like my little sis, so please leave.” Without arguing I agreed running back into the kitchen, where James and Sam looked like war veterans. Their ashen faces grim, as if haunted by the ghosts of fighting. Though the only fight they were dealing with now was keeping down anything.

“Morning, you cheery people.”

“Shut the fuck up, Mel, I don't know if you know what mornings are for, but it certainly isn't to be cheery.” Sam grumbled over his plate. His trembling hands picking the bacon butty up carefully, scared of dropping it.

“Fine then, well I'm not hung over and actually kind of happy.”

“Well I'm glad you are, how's Ben?” Cam uttered, as he walked in pulling on his shirt. I guess word got out he spoke to me last night, well of course it did, I made a petty excuse to him and ran to Danny. People were bound to know.