chapter 9: me and my...

j pov//

i wanted to surprise the boys. they have been helping me so much lately and i thought i could make them a treat!

since i know the two of them like food so much i wanted to make them some cookies, and well not just for them but for everyone in the family.

they are all so generous and besides who doesn't like cookies!

i was taking them out of the oven and watching them cool. at the same time i was texting tinus. he was asking me to come over but i kept saying i was busy.

after the cookies cooled and were ready to go i packed them up real nicely. i always really liked to bake especially for other people. i mean everyone loves food!

i tied the box in a neat bow. i was very pleased with how this came out and i hope they all like it! i took the box in my hands and slipped on my shoes and a jacket.

it was getting really cold here. i don't know how i'm going to survive this winter! maybe tinus can keep
me warm. he is a really cuddly person.

i found myself blushing really hard. hopefully they would just think that i'm cold! i was still wondering what tinus wanted to ask me yesterday, but marcus had to cut him off.

it sounded important and it's been killing me to know. well if it were important he probably would have found a way to ask then by now. perhaps it was just nothing.

i knocked on the door. i was patiently waiting. when it opened i could see emma standing there. she looked so cute in her outfit.

j-"hello emma!"

emma-"hi!"

j-"are the boys home? i wanted to surprise you guys with some cookies i baked!"

emma-"cookies!! j you are the best!"

she gave me a tight hug and she was dancing around the room. i told her to quiet down so the boys wouldn't hear.

she pointed towards the kitchen and told me that's where they were. i nodded my head and followed. i could actually hear them.

martinus-"but mamma she is all alone. her parents are gone!"

are they talking about me? i walked slower.

gerd anne-"and as unfortunate as that is there isn't much we can do. her parents chose their careers over   j."

i was in the kitchen. the boys were looking at me with wide eyes. they probably realized i had heard everything.

gerd anne turned around and i could tell she didn't intend for me to hear.

j-"emma let me in. i um, i brought these cookies as a thank you for being so kind towards me and my family. um, i'll just leave them here."

i put them on the counter and started to walk really fast out of there. before i could open the door it was shut by tinus.

martinus-"j."

j-"it's fine tinus. she's right. don't think i don't know that."

tinus-"but she isn't."

j-"it's okay. i've accepted it. you should too."

he let go and i opened the door getting out of there. well that was awkward.

martinus pov//

i was anxiously waiting for mamma's answer. i had told her about what happened with j. how her parents weren't here anymore.

mom-"martinus i'm not sure if we can do anything here."

martinus-"but mamma she is all alone. her parents are gone!"

gerd anne-"and as unfortunate as that is there isn't much we can do. her parents chose their careers over   j."

i looked up. j was standing right there. she must have heard that. she was holding something in her hands.

mamma turned around and i could tell she felt bad. she didn't mean to say it in front of her.

j-"emma let me in. i um, i brought these cookies as a thank you for being so kind towards me and my family. um, i'll just leave them here."

she put them on the counter and started to walk. i got up out of the chair and raced to the door before she could leave.

martinus-"j."

j-"it's fine tinus. she's right. don't think i don't know that."

tinus-"but she isn't."

j-"it's okay. i've accepted it. you should too."

she left. but it isn't true. her parents love her. i can't believe she heard that. all she wanted was to bring us cookies and she had to hear all that.

i went back into the kitchen where i was frustrated.

marcus-"is she okay?"

martinus-"she thinks it's all true too!"

mom-"boys i'm sorry. i didn't mean for her to hear that. in fact i shouldn't have said it."

i was frustrated. i know she didn't mean for j to hear but she did hear it. i just don't want anything bad happening here.

emma came running in the room. she looked at us and could tell our expressions were dull.

emma-"why aren't you guys happy! j made those cookies for you as a surprise! don't you like them?"

marcus-"of course we do it was very nice for her to do that."

she went over to the counter and opened the nearly tied box. the cookies looked and smelled delicious. j should be here with us and enjoying them.

martinus-"mom im going to see if she is okay."

mom-"good idea. tell her i'm sorry again."

i went out to her house. i was going to knock on the door but i could hear rustling in the backyard. i went over and saw j trying to do some tricks with the football.

martinus-"need some help?"

she turned around and saw me. she gave me a light smile and nodded. i came over and started to teach her some of the tricks.

we just played in silence. nothing needed to be said, but being with her made me happy. no words needed.

>>

we were both laying on the grass looking up at the clouds. i had my arm around j and she was just looking up. but i was looking at her.

j-"thanks tinus."

martinus-"what for?"

j-"just for being here for me."

martinus-"i'd be here for you anytime you need me."

she smiled at me. it was a perfect sunday afternoon. okay martinus this is the right time. go for it.

martinus-"j i need to tell you something. just listen."

she nodded.

martinus-"i like you. i really do. i want us to be more than friends but if you don't want to-"

j-"of course i want to. i've been crushing on your for a while martinus."

martinus-"really?"

j-"yes."

i pulled her tighter into a hug. she was so warm and i hoped to hold her forever. me and my girlfriend. my girlfriend and i. i can finally say that.