Just A Girl, Naomi

“Ino, keep that form flexible!”

“Yes, sensei.”

“Choji, put down those chips!”

“Yes, sensei.”

“Shikamaru, figure out how to reach me with your Shadow Possession Jutsu if I’m too far out of range!”

“Yes, sensei.”

“Naomi, let me test your reflexes! … That wasn’t quick enough. You’ve got to duck and roll! No, roll!”

“Yes, sensei!” she panted heavily, rolling out of the way as he tossed another kunai in her direction.

“Better,” he grunted before turning back to Shikamaru to help him with his Shadow Possession. Naomi pursed her lips in frustration as she shot the pineapple-haired boy a jealous look.

It always seemed that, no matter how hard she tried to impress Asuma-sensei, Shikamaru was always there to show her up. He always had Sensei’s attention, the little suck-up.

Throwing her head back condescendingly in the air, she huffed and let out a low, “Teacher’s pet,” beneath her breath. With new determination, she turned towards the trees and made a quick sign with her hands, focusing all her energy and chakra into her feet.

She took a deep breath and planted one foot firmly on the trunk, and then another, and then another.

I’m doing it, she told herself proudly, I’m doing it! Let’s see Shika mess up this one!

“Sensei!” she called over excitedly as she continued to balance horizontally to the ground. “Sensei, look!”

Her eyes glistened as she searched for the familiar face, but when all she saw was the back of his head, her heart shattered. He was watching Shikamaru. Again.

Naomi used this despair to fuel her resolve even more as she sucked in a deep breath, pushed a little more of her chakra into her feet, and took a few more cautious steps up the tree.

“Sensei!” she tried calling again.

“Not now, Naomi,” he responded. “Shikamaru’s concentrating on his Jutsu. He needs absolute silence.”

“But, sensei—”

“Not now, Naomi.”

“But if you would just—”

“I said not now!

The irritation in his voice caught her off guard. He was never upset with her. He was always giving encouraging words. He was always patient.