Preference: Dance Dads | Criminal Minds

Start from the beginning

"Okay," she says with a final nod, running into the dance room.

Derek walks back into the parents' room, sitting in between two moms. The chairs are too close for his liking; his muscles are almost too big to fit.

The moms talk around him while he's watching his daughter dance. He hears snippets of conversations about costumes, make-up, Channing Tatum, and a few whispers about him.

"So, do you carry a gun?" a mom asks.

Derek looks over. "Uh... yeah."

"Do you have one right now?" another mom asks.

"No..."

"Have you killed people?"

"Bad people, yeah."

"Do you have a badge?"

"Yeah."

"How much is the government keeping from us?"

"I don't-"

"How long will Y/N be gone?"

"Ju-" Derek stops himself, realizing what the question was. He merely sinks into his chair as the mom who asked the question turns away.

Just focus on Y/D/N. Just focus on Y/D/N.

He watches as she tries to shuffle-shuffle-step to the song the teacher was playing; something about colors. Laughing to himself, he takes a little video and sends it to you, knowing you'd want him to.

The rest of the evening went smoothly (besides the first shoe change; he had difficulty putting her ballet shoes on). If he was honest with himself, it actually wasn't that bad.

But it's never happening again.

Spencer -
Ever since you signed your daughter up for dance, Spencer's been going to every practice he's been home for; he wants to be with you every chance he gets.

Because of this, he's pretty tight with the other moms.

Spencer got home only yesterday, and Y/D/N particularly missed him - she's been clinging to him since he walked in the door.

For instance, she made him walk around the house while she was clinging to his leg. You had to admit, it was cute, but Spencer was exhausted. Still, he did it anyway. Anything for his little girl.

Speaking of that, when Y/D/N has to go into the other room to dance, she cries. Loudly. You start to get up and go calm her down, but Spencer stops you and goes instead.

While the dance teacher is lining all the other girls up, your daughter is standing there, crying. Spencer crouches down in front of her and places his hands on her arms.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" he asks.

She sniffs, "I-I wanna stay with you! I miss you, Daddy." She sticks her bottom lip out and widens her eyes, giving him her infamous puppy dog face. And it works on him. Every time.

He pats her head and stands up to talk to the teacher. "Do you mind if I, uh, stay with her...?"

The teacher nods, pointing to a chair at the front of the room. "You can sit just over there."

"Thanks," he says, awkwardly making his way over.

While Y/D/N isn't crying anymore, she still won't dance.

Her dance teacher notices this. "Y/D/N, will you dance for me? Can you do your toe backs?"

"No," she replies, shaking her little head. "I want Daddy to dance with me."

The dance teacher turns to Spencer, who sheepishly stands up. "Y/D/N, are you sure?"

"Yes!"

"... Alright."

He stands next to her on the line as you and the other moms crack up at the sight of your six-foot husband in a line of two-year-olds.

Then, the teacher starts dancing. And, as Y/D/N wishes, he does every step.

"Alright, hands on hips, please. And bounce... Ready?"

It began with an eight-count of shuffle-steps, an eight-count of heels, and an eight-count of toe-backs. Then, they had to twist to the ground, twist back up, sugar in a circle, wave at the audience, and a repeat of the beginning.

And the pose.

Right hand on right hip, left leg popped up, and left hand on left knee.

Y/D/N did every step, and now she and the other girls are laughing at her father.

Meanwhile, you're sending the video you just took to Morgan...