Chapter 38

A/N thanks for 10K guys!!!! I'm so proud of us!!!

Charlotte's POV

I'm finally all settled into my new room in the new house. All of my new clothes are in the closet and dressers and I just feel at home.  Walk out onto the balcony and grab my pack of smokes and a lighter and light one. The taste of smoke fills my mouth and lungs as I inhale. A feeling I haven't had in a while.

"I never knew you smoked?" I hear Ashton come up behind me. I caugh, choking on the smoke.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to almost kill you. Well not really but you know what I mean." Ashton says.

"It's fine. And yeah, I smoke. I have since I was like 13. It's a nasty habit I know." I say and take a drag from my cigarette.

"I know. Calum had the same problem." Ashton says.

"Calum smokes?" I ask in otter shock.

"Yeah you didn't know that?" He questions me.

"No. I would never have taken him as a smoker. But at least I'm not alone." I say, flicking the ashes over the balcony. (Off you actually didn't know the Calum smoked, it's true he does.)

"So what do you want Ash?" I ask him.

"I wanted to ask if you were okay. You know, all settled in, okay with what happened with the Council." He says to me, standing right beside me.

"Ashton, I'm honestly terrified of the council. I don't want to go with them, even if they ask, I'll refuse. I can't go. I don't want to." I say, taking another drag, the feeling of the smoke burning my lungs calms me. And now that I'm a vampire I won't die from lung cancer.

"Char, if the council wants you, they will do everything in their power to get you." He says.

"And is that supposed to make me feel better?" I look at him.

"You're right. I'm sorry." He turns and looks out at sunny LA. I really love this place actually.

"I do too. It's one of my favourite places because it reminds me so much of home." Ashton says out loud.

"Stay out of my head Ash." I say, ashing my cigarette again.

"Sorry. It's hard you know. Expecially in the beginning."

*Flashback: year 1532, three years before turning*

Ashton's POV

I was working on the farm with my brother Harry while mum and my sister Lauren were in the house making supper.

"Ashton, who's that over by the barn?" Harry asked me. I look over at the barn and I see a figure move.

"Stay here. I'll go check it out." I say, getting a tighter grip on my shovel. I've never really been a violent person, but when it comes to my family, I'll protect them no matter what.

As I grow closer to the barn, I see the figure move.

"Hey! Who are you and what are you doing on my land?" I yell, asking the figure as it looked like a person.

"I'm so sorry. I'm just looking for a well. I have no water and I've been travelling for 2 weeks. I ran pit of water yesterday and I'm so thirsty. Could you spare just enough water to fill up my canteen please?" I get a better look at the figure. It was a woman. A beautiful woman. She had long brown hair and beautiful brown eyes.