14

Third Person

He sat in his car, the radio a low hum, and the roads all blurring together as he focused on one destination.

Abby's house.

It was only a few minutes from his.

Seven to be exact.

And he was nearly there.

He was coming up with ways to start this whole conversation on why he was showing up at her house after eleven.

I read the message Abby. And I want you to know I'm not leaving until we figure things out.

No, too demanding.

Why didn't you tell me all of these things Abby? Why am I just now reading one of god knows how many messages from you? Did you not think I would listen?

No, too accusing.

He couldn't think straight.

How could he possibly start a conversation now?

What if she just shut him out? What if she never meant to send that text?

God why do things have to be so messy? He asked himself as he continued his drive.

He retrieved a carton of cigarettes from his glove compartment before pulling out a stick and lighting it.

Smoke filled the car as he let out a large breath.

He'd stopped smoking a while ago, for Abby.

But once they'd separated and Jasmine came along, he started that old habit back up once more.

He blamed it on the stress that came along with living.

Pulling into that old familiar driveway, he noticed only one car there.

Abby's.

Which meant her mother wasn't home, and they'd be able to talk.

But he started to feel nervous, nauseous even.

Opening his car door, he stepped out into the semi cold night, throwing his half smoked cigarette to the ground and putting it out.

Here goes nothing... He thought, his feet carrying him up the steps to her door.

He knocked three times. Hoping she'd still be awake.

He heard light footsteps from inside before the door was unlocked.

He came face to face with the girl he'd regret hurting, the girl that had been so many of his firsts, the girl he loved.

"Liam? Oh my gosh what are you doing here? You must be freezing!" She said, standing wrapped in a blanket due to the cold night.

He stood there, admiring the way her eyes widened at his appearance, the concern that laced her words.

"I got your message Abby..." He said finally, his eyes downcast towards the ground.

"What message?" She asked, her eyes widened again.

"The one you sent me. How many of them have you had written but never sent Abby?" He finally looked up at her, her eyes filled with tears.

"Liam...I didn't mean to send that. It wasn't–I don't–" She stopped talking, the words caught in her throat.

He had read the message. So he knew she was keeping more from him.

"Can I come inside? We really need to talk." He took a step towards her, they eyes locked on each other.

"I don't think that–"

"Please." He pleaded, his eyes full of hope and sadness.

And with that, she couldn't refuse his request.

"Come in."