05

Abigail's POV

I glanced over at the clock on the wall and saw that it read seven-fifteen.

Liam and his mom would be over in about fifteen minutes.

I paced back and forth in my bedroom, nervous for what was gonna happen.

The dress I was wearing was shorter than what I normally would wear, if I wore dresses.

Mom had insisted that I dress nice since we hadn't seen the Bradshaw's in awhile.

My mother was always one who tried to impress people, even with what little she had to offer.

My father wasn't in the picture, so she was working two jobs and wasn't home as much as she'd like.

But once Dad left a few years ago, she realized she was going to have to provide for us on her own.

He left the summer before my ninth grade year.

I was so torn up.

He had come in my room one night, his jacket on and a suitcase in one hand.

I thought he was going on a trip, he took those often.

But he told me he was leaving.

He said he had found someone that made him happy.

I guess that wasn't my mother or I.

That was the first of the many heartbreaks I would endure.

I remember calling Liam as soon as he walked out the door.

Within a few minutes, I heard a knock on my window, and there he was.

Liam had his mom drive him all the way over to my house that late at night just so he could stay with me.

My mom had left, probably to some bar to drink her pain away.

That was the first night that Liam had stayed over since we were younger.

He pulled me into my bed and wrapped his arms around me while I cried into him.

He never once left my side.

My mom found us sound asleep the next morning, still tangled together.

She wasn't even upset about him staying, because she knew I needed him.

She knew.

Downstairs I heard the doorbell ring, and my body immediately tensed.

I just hoped this dinner would go as planned.

Walking down the stairs I was greeted to a smiling Mrs. Bradshaw, and Liam.

He was being pulled into a hug by my mom.

"Oh dear! You've grown so much since I last saw you Liam." My mother gushed.

His laughed, waving to me.

They walked through the door into the newly cleaned living room, taking a seat on the couch.

I sat awkwardly on the couch across from them while my mother checked on the dinner.

"So Abigail, how have you been? It's been forever since we've seen you." She smiled, trying to spark a conversation.

This was going to be one interesting night.

"I've been alright. Busy, but managing. It's the last semester of my senior year so I'm planning for college and getting all of my final grades in." I refused to meet her eye.

Liam stood up from the couch, excusing himself to the restroom.

Wonder if he still knew where it was.

Jamie could obviously tell something was off, because her next question surprised me.

"Liam hasn't talked much about you these past months, did something happen between you two?"

I nearly chocked on the air.

I coughed slightly and waved a hand dismissively.

"Oh, no, we're just both busy."

She furrowed her brows.

"Are you sure—"

"Mom, stop trying to interrogate her."Liam's voice called as he walked back in the room. "Sorry, you know how she is."

His silly little excuse really pissed me off.

'You know how she is,' really?

What about him? What about how he is?

"Dinner is really y'all if you want to head to the kitchen!" My mom pulled us out of our thoughts, simply calling from the kitchen.

"So Jamie, I haven't seen you in so long. We need to plan a girls day or something. Liam and Abby can hang out while we do. We all need to go back to spending more time together." My mother broke the silence as we ate.

"You're absolutely right Anna! Especially since the kids will be going off to college in the fall." Jamie smiled sadly.

"Have you picked a college yet Liam?" Mom asked, gushing.

"Yes. I'm going to be staying here in New York and attending Rochester U for a major in Psychology."

As soon as those words left his mouth, I nearly choked.

That seems to happen a lot to me.

"Oh how nice! Abby's attending there as well, for the same thing. Forensics with a minor in Psychology. You two will be seeing each other for a while, even after school ends!"

I would be attending the same University, for the same major.

I thought he wanted to go to UCLA, that's one reason why I decided to stay here in NY.

Now I'd be attending the same college as him, possibly taking the same classes.

I couldn't get away.

This was going to be one hell of a life.

Author's note:

So for this chapter I did something different. Just to give insight on the family's and the dinner.

The next few will be messages again!

xx, Bree.