Chapter 46

The trio had decided that, instead of catching the bus home, they would walk their way back, taking in the fresh air and the fact that everything was back to normal again. They wanted this moment to last, before they would separate again until the weekend was over.

Jungkook was wandering behind Hyunsoo and Jimin, because the minute they had left the Halloween party, his phone had started ringing. According to his change of tone, it was his mother or father, Hyunsoo thought. Jimin was catching up on everything Hyunsoo had missed out on the last week or so. He told her that he and Seulgi had finally officially started dating. At the news, Hyunsoo looked happily at Jimin and congratulated him on making a move. They smiled and continued to talk together.

However, she couldn't help but worry about Jungkook, who was still trailing behind them, now on the phone to his grandma and sounding more himself. There was something about the way he had changed his tone so much when he was talking to his parents, which reminded Hyunsoo... of her.

"Don't make it so obvious girl," Jimin said.

It was so out of the blue, Hyunsoo actually nearly tripped over from the surprise. "What?"

"I know what you're thinking. I've noticed as well, and, well... Jungkook might be having problems with his family..."

Hyunsoo looked at him. Jimin had really read her mind, so she didn't know how to respond, but she didn't need to.

"Maybe it's not so bad, but maybe it is. It could be as bad as it was with your family..." Jimin glanced back at Jungkook, as if checking whether he was listening or not, and then continued, "I asked him, I mean, I confronted him about it. He was on the phone to his parents before too, but when I asked, he didn't say anything. He changed the subject and wouldn't go back."

Just as Jimin finished talking, they heard Jungkook say 'see you later' to his grandma. They quickly changed their topic, as Jungkook fastened his pace to keep up with Hyunsoo and Jimin. At that exact moment, the bus stop came into view, with Seulgi standing next to it.

"Seulgi!" Jimin called out instantly, "I thought your parents were picking you up?"

Seulgi waved and said, "Change of plan. They can't anymore." She was smiling, though her face broke into a grin only when she saw Hyunsoo. "You're friends again!"

They all beamed at each other, as Jimin explained the situation, when Hyunsoo unexpectedly said, "Jimin, I'll see you on Monday. You take Seulgi home."

"What? But we–" Jimin stopped abruptly.

Hyunsoo shook her head. She felt like she needed some time to let everything sink in. She was still in slight shock, and after seeing Seulgi, she felt like she owed Jimin.

"Go with Seulgi, please." Hyunsoo smiled brightly, showing that she didn't mind at all.

Jimin looked at Jungkook and then to Seulgi, before smiling back at Hyunsoo, understanding her intentions.

Later, when it was just Jungkook and Hyunsoo walking, it became a lot quieter, but it wasn't exactly awkward either. It was silent for a while, before Jungkook broke it first.

"How are you coping at home?" he asked.

Hyunsoo didn't expect this question at all. Out of everything he could have asked... still, she answered remaining composed. "Okay, I guess." And then, feeling as if that wasn't enough, she added, "It is all thanks to you."

"Are you okay after what happened tonight?" he continued to ask.

Again she was surprised. Jungkook actually sounded concerned. "Yes, I'm still shocked, but it will be fine."

Hyunsoo blinked slowly a few times. The walk became silent again. The wind was whistling in her ear. She quickly stole a peek at Jungkook out of the corners of her eyes, before looking back ahead, keeping a straight face.

Suddenly, Jungkook stopped walking and turned to face Hyunsoo. "I've been waiting for this moment. I didn't know when it would come, but I knew it would. I realised I made mistakes after mistakes, but sadly, I only realised when you got together with Jinyoung."

He was talking slowly, but to Hyunsoo, it came out all so fast that her legs gave away strength. Jungkook cupped her hands into his and kept her standing upright, supporting her.

"You're the reason I gave up on all the weekly girls, the reason why I want to start afresh now..." He was standing so close, looking down at Hyunsoo. "I hope I'm not the only one feeling this, this odd feeling I can't describe..."

Hyunsoo was looking up at him with soft sparkling eyes, and she had without realising gone up on tiptoes, just when Jungkook started leaning in. He mumbled something, but Hyunsoo didn't hear, she just closed her eyes. Not a moment later, soft skin touched Hyunsoo's lips. Jungkook said something again... how could he? He was kissing her.

"Hyunsoo!" Jungkook said, shaking her by the shoulders. "Why are you making that face?"

Shoot.

"Uh." Hyunsoo faltered, feeling her face heat up hot molten lava style. "Sorry, I– uhm, what were you saying?"

She couldn't believe she was daydreaming about Jungkook kissing her! And while he was walking with her as well!

Jungkook looked at Hyunsoo, trying to figure out what had just happened, and answered, "I was talking about how Jimin was feeling very lonely without you, and how he would bring you up in every conversation topic."

"Really?" Hyunsoo's heart lifted a little at that thought, but not enough to stop her feeling like a complete idiot. "Hoseok did the exact same."

Jungkook smiled, and Hyunsoo's heart fluttered. What is happening to me!?

Luckily for Hyunsoo, they finally arrived back home and it was time to say goodbye. Hyunsoo needed to be alone to go over her thoughts... she had never felt this type of embarrassment before.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Hyunsoo punched the pillow all night at how she possibly let herself daydream the kiss, while she was with him – which was the worst part of it all.