Chapter 9

Four months later

Emma, after the Queen's departure, had taken the reins of the castle, beginning from te guards and the army.
Astonishing her parents, she had called a truce, that had obviosly been acceptes with joy. Despite the two kingdoms were allied now, though, Emma didn't accept to unite them, with great displeasure from the two sovereigns. Also, despithe the continue requests, the new queen had never accepted to attack Maleficent's lands, not even under Stephan and George's pressures.
Emma didn't accept visits from anyone, not even frome her parents, who she met just once, one week after Regina's departure, to from the alliance.
She sat on the throne, tired. It wasn't like she actually did something that day, but she felt worn out, always.
She opened the umpteenth letter from King George, who pushed her to join the war council that would have taken place in three weeks. She crumpled the letter and threw it on the floor. Her gaze fell, as always, on the marks left by Maleficent's claws on the marble.

Since four months Regina lived inside the Forbidden Fortress. She actually had taken refuge in there, repudiating her feelings.
Emma's face was always present in her thoughts, but she kept trying to banish it running otno Maleficent's arms, a pleasing company, anyway.
She indolently got out of the bed, wrapping then herself into a nightgown when the icy air hit her naked body. She gave a glance at Mal, still asleep, then went ouside, on the balcony.
Her gaze wandered over the far horizon, as if looking for what was once her castle.She imagined Emma sitting on the throne. She smiled, unable to do anything else at the thought of the princess.

Maleficent suddenly woke up, as always. She touched the bed without finding Regina. She turned then towards the balcony, already knowing that she would be there. She stood up and got out that way, naked, the dragon's fire to warm her up from the inside. She hugged Regina from behind, kissing her neck.
«Something worries you, my dear?» she asked in a murmur.
Regina tensed for a second, then she relaxed at that contact.
«What should I be worried for?» she asked turnng her head and smiling at her. «You, instead, dream always more frequently your daughter... you're restless at night. Can I do something about it?»
«I'm afraid you can't.» the blonde smirked. «What are you doing outside in the cold? Come inside...»
Regina didn't move, but kept staring at her.
«What if there's a way?»
Mal glared at her.
«Don't delude me, Regina...» she growled.
«I would never do that...» the brunette replied, offended. «Not to you.»
The dragon lowered her head, regretful.
«Forgive me... It's just that when we talk about her...»
«I know.» Regina lifted her face and lokked in her eyes. «But I had an idea, and maybe it might work.»
«I'm listening.» the blonde murmured, paying more attention.
«I know that those two idiots have a magic bean...» the queen began, staring at her. «Do you know what can it do?»
Maleficent goggled at her and took some distance from her.
«What?! How did they geti t? And how do you know it?»
Regina smirked devilishly.
«I have a spy at their castle, obviously. That stupid fairy thought she could protect them from me in case I cast a curse...» she added with dark fun sparkling in her eyes.
Maleficent smiled, her eyes wet.
«Regina... if we take that bean...»
The brunette gave her a smile.
«You could look for your daughter.» she finished for her.
The dragon's smile, though, estinguished quickly.
«Buti t will be safe inside their castle...»
«I'll take care of that part. I'll make sure you have it.» Regina reassured her.
Mal took her face between her hands, the worry clear in her blue eyes.
«How? I don't want you to risk your life for me.»
«Don't worry.» Regina said before kissing her. «I'll be fine.»
The blonde didn't say anything else and gifted her with anothe kiss, full of passion, and Regina answered with as much intensity.
«You've been away from your daughter way too long. It's not fair that you're suffering so much.» the brunette plowed on, slightly smiling.
Maleficent stared at her with tears in her eyes.
«Thank you.» she said smiling.
«I owe you...» Regina replied caressing her face. «I'm leaving now. I will come back soon.»
The blonde smirked.
«You owe me nothing.»
«I owe you more that you think.» Regina said, walking then out of the room
Maleficent was left alone, a never before felt sense of gratefulness to warm up her soul.
«Thank you.» she whispered.

Blue suddenly straightened her back. There was a new source of power in the castle. It was somehow familiar, but she couldn't say whom it belonged to. Her forehead was frowned by the worry that built up second by second. She flew quickly to the queen.
«Snow... are you expecting visits from anyone?» she directly asked.
The woman gave her a surprised look.
«No. Why?»