Chapter 6

A couple of days had passed since Regina had freeded the princess. She had been capable of keeping Maleficent busy so that she wouldn't seek revenge on the girl. Every day she looked outside the window and saw Emma beyond the walls of her castle; the thing irritated her, but at the same time she admired the girl's courage.
She got up and walked to the window to watch the young woman, as always,but unexpectedly she wasn't there.
«You finally understood...» she murmured to herself with a hint of melancholy.
«I undestood that you should train your guards better.»
Regina turned abruptly hearing Emma's voice behind.
«You?What are you doing here?» she exclaimed surprised. «...I thought you were finally gone.» she continued then, without taking her eyes off of her.
Emma shrugged. She remembered only then the good manners, and she kneeled.
«I told you that you wouldn't get rid of me so easily...»
The queen slightly smiled seeing her kneel.
«And I told you that I don't need you anymore. I have another person to satisfy me...as you well know.» she then said with a cold and detached voice.
The princess gave her a hurt gaze, but she quickly got back her self –control.
«I'm not leaving, Your Majesty.»

The woman snorted.
«Anyone would kill to be freed but you, insolent little girl, you don't want to take the opportunity that's given to you!» she exclaimed getting closer to her « Go home.»
Emma looked her in the eyes.
«No, thank you.» she said, a smile in her determined stare.
«Maleficent wants to use you against your parents...» the queen revealed after a long silence. «If she hasn't done it yet, it's because I'm keeping her busy...So why don't you go home before that she achieves her aim?»
Emma looked at her completely astonished.
«You're protecting me from her?»
«No.» the brunette answered hurriedly. «I have no reason to do it. I just believe that your parents will suffer more if you tell them that you want to kill me.» she explained, turning her back to her.
Emma stayed silent staring at her for a while.
«They think I'm dead.» she said eventually.
«And don't you want them to know that you are alive?» the queen plowed on without looking at her.
The girl looked down, saddened.
«I can't live my life lying anymore.» she said.
Regina turned slightly her head to look at her.
«What are you talking about?» she asked.
Emma lifted her gaze on her, blushing.
«They still think that I refused all of the suitors because I'm stubborn.They think that I see you as a monster.They think that I want the throne, someday...»
«Why don't you want to be a princess? I'm sure that they chose the best suitors for you... why did you refuse them?» the woman asked, curious, turning completely towards her.
The girl could barely hold back a laughter.
«Oh, yes, poor guys, it wasn't their fault! It's just that I like... different things...»
There was a hint of a smile on the queen's face.
«I'm sure that they could find you a princess.»
«They could, yes...but for the rest...»
Regina began walking around the room, intrigued by the blonde's behavior.
«You don't want a princess... so what do you want?» she asked her.
Emma opened her mouth to answer, but then she changed her mind.
«I think you know the answer, Your Majesty...»
Regina bursted into laughter.
«You don't want me! You simply liked what I did to you.»
The princess gave her a hurt look.
«You're not the only one to do such things in bed. I could easily find other that do the same things, expecially seen my title. This is not the reason why I'm still here.» she replied sharply.
The queen suddenly approached her. She grasped her hair and pulled, forcing her to lift her face.
«I don't think you'd find someone that doeas what I do... the way I do it...» she hissed in her ear. «Or you wouldn't still be here.»
Emma foced herself not to react and kept staring back at her.
«You know why I'm here.» she said «And it's not for that.»
«You're not in love with me, you just like to fuck with me. And I can get that.» sRegina smiled with malice.
Emma held back a laugh.
«I can't deny that it's pleasing. Yet my heart doesn't lie.»
«Your heart doesn't work.» the other rplied letting her go. «Anyway, I already told you that what happened between us won't ever happen again, so...» she said pointing at the door.
Emma stayed still.
«If you really didn't care, you would have killed me.»
The brunette snorted in exasperation.
«

I already told you why I didn't kill you: I want your mother to suffer... for what she did to me.» she replied glaring at her.
«Yes, I get it. You're right.» the girl answered simply, staring back at those flaring eyes.
Then Regina gave her a surprised gaze.
«What? You think I'm right?»
Emma weakly smirked.
«That's what I was trying to tell you... I never told my parents. My mother told me about what happened and... you know... I don't want you to kill her, I mean, she's my mother, I love her. But... I understand. She made a mistake, and you paid a way too high price. So...» she explained shrugging.
The queen grabbed her neck.
«You know nothing, idiotic little girl!» she yelled, holding back the tears sprung by Daniel's memory. «Don't talk about things that you don't know!»
Emma struggled to breathe.
«Your Majesty...»
Regina tightened her grip, blinded by her fury. Then she pushed the blonde away from her, against the wall. Emma fel on the floor, coughing for both the impact and the choking, her lungs burning.
The queen slowly turned, hiding her eyes full of tears.
«Now go, before I deliver you to Maleficent.»
Emma didn't answer. She kept coughing, the air could barely find its way inside the bruised throat. She didn't move, still dazed by the hit.
«I don't want you here. You're just a stupid little girl that talks about things that she can't understand.»
Eventually the princess could breathe again, despite the pain that afflicted half of her body. She gazed up at the queen.
«I'm not leaving.» she said with hoarse voice, bringing a hand to her throat as she heard its sound.
«I don't love you and I never will, understood?» the brunette yelled at her, full of anger and resentment. «You're losing your time... I don't have a heart...»
«I heard it beat...» the girl murmured «... so you have it. I told you, I'm not expecting you to love me back. I just want to stay here.»
«Beat?» the queen let out a bitter laughter. «My heart stopped beating years ago... Because of your mother and your grandfather.» she said angrily, recalling her marriage.
Emma shook her head.
«You can even go on fooling yourself saying that, but we both know that this is not the truth.»
Regina leaned against the wall, exasperated.
«Do you really think that I can feel something for the daughter of the person who ruined my life? Or for his granddaughter?» she questioned, not deeming her worthy of even a glance.
The princess looked down sighing.
«No.» she murmured. «I don't. But I can't help feeling something for you. And I can't help wanting to stand by you.»
«Indeed. Then why stay?» Regina asked, distractedly playing with the golden ring that Daniel gave her years before.
The blonde's gaze fell on the ring, attracted by the movement. She shrugged.
«Why not?»
«What do you exactly know about me?» the queen suddenly asked. «What did your mother tell you?» she continued, clenching her fists at Snow's thought.
Emma leaned against the wall, still sitting on the floor.
«She told me..» she began, but hesitated, worryed about her possible reaction. «...about your loved one. That you asked her to keep your relationship secret, and she didn't, telling everything to your mother, who killed him in front of you. And that you've been forced to marry Leopold for this. And that you killed him, thanks to the Geenie, with the snakes. And then she ran from the castle.» she explained calmly, looking in her eyes.
«What a perfect summary, my dear...» the queen sarcastically commented, her stare sombre for the anger. «... did she tell you what the king did to me?» she asked glaring at her with contempt.
The sadness crawled inside Emma's eyes.
«No. I imagined it myself.»
«Don't look at me that way!!!» the woman commanded, getting closer menacingly. «I don't want your pity! I'm the queen!»
«It's not pity, Your Majesty, it's sorrow.»
«I don't want that either! I want nothing from you!» Regina screamed.
Emma suddenly stood up and kissed her, cupping her face with her hands, neglectful about the consequences.
Regina opened wide her eyes. She stayed stll for a moment before pushing her away.
«How do you dare?» she hissed pushing her against the wall.
Emma moaned for the pain, added to the one caused by the previous strike. Yet she smiled.
«At least, if you'll think that I'm a too big annoyance for you, I'll have no regrets.» she explained.
«You must be crazy...» the queen commented, inspecting her with her stare. «... but I must admit that you're brave...»
She stopped hearing some paces ouside the door.
«It's Maleficent... go away, idiot, if you don't want to become a dragon's dinner!» she quickly said under her voice.
Emma smiled again
«See? You care about me.» she said before running to hide inside her old room.