Chapter 6: The Difference Between Dreams and Reality

Start from the beginning

I felt so stupid for not noticing earlier, but they were both just so good at acting like they didn't have a care in the world. Stella more than Jace, surprisingly enough, she only seemed to lose her temper when it regarded me whlist Jace was just cranky all the time.

My eyes started tearing up, and I was so beyond angry. I wanted to find her father and punish him for hurting her, I wanted to tear him to shreds, but then I figured he had probably already been dead for a few hundred years, or however old she was. I should have thought it was the vampire King, but it didn't feel right. I couldn't imagine them letting that man live after all he put Stella through, much less letting him be king of anything. I would have killed her real father myself if I could have, but all I could do for her at that moment was wake her so she wouldn't have to re-live it.

I grabbed her shoulders and shook her gently, "Stella, wake up. You're having a nightmare. It's me, Anna."

Then my heart sunk to the pit of my stomach because she started whimpering like a little girl would so I pulled her into a tight hug and kissed the top of her head.

"Stella it's me, Annabelle. Nobody's going to hurt you. I won't let anybody hurt you," I said, trying my best to make her feel safe.

Then something strange happened in a blur, and I was so scared at her sudden change in personality that it took me a few moments to analyze what had just occured.

At the mention of my name, she growled fiercely and pinned me against the bed by my wrists with such strength that I could feel her cutting off the circulation to my hands.

She spoke again, but this time she sounded more like herself, not like a little girl. That would have been fine if I hadn't recognized this as the tone of voice she uses when she's extremely angry.

"Annabelle?!" She snarled, " How on earth do you know about her?! I won't let you hurt her like they did to Nat--" She trailed off, and her grip on me wavered.

Startled, I cried out, "Stella, wake up!"

Then she suddenly gasped and let me go as if I was the one who just scared the fuck out of her.

"Annabelle?" She said.

"Yes, yes! It's me, Jesus, calm down!" I replied, still shocked at her sudden attack.

She let out a breath like she was relieved, plopped herself on top of me and buried her head on my neck like nothing weird had just happened.

"You're not Jesus," She mumbled against my skin.

I chuckled at her joke, "No, I'm not, but I think I came pretty damn close to meeting him."

Then I felt her body shift to my side, and all of a sudden the lights turned on. I blinked against the harsh light.

"How--", I started to say, but she cut me off.

"Electrokinesis, sorry, I forget you're not used to that," She answered sheepishly.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, "What the--"

"Hell is eletrokinesis?" She chuckled, "I can control electricity, the name basically says it, Annie."

I huffed, "Stella, quit cutting me off. If you're gonna finish my sentences at least make sure you actually read my thoughts first."

She didn't answer and instead gave me a strange look, like she was confused by my frustration. I rubbed my eyes and closed them for a few moments before I took a deep breath and said, "Are you okay?"

She shrugged, "I don't know, you tell me... Why shouldn't I be? I mean other than the fact that you just woke me up by screaming at me and it scared the shit out of me," she said with a small chuckle.