Telling the Father

[edited: 26/04/2016]

Chapter 5

Telling the Father

I sat in my bed, my knees drawn up to my chest, looking out of the window at the stars. They were so much clearer in Devon than at home. Dom was already asleep opposite me, a small smile playing on her lips. I sighed, for what seemed like the millionth time that evening. I'd be seventeen in just under an hour, but the thought of seeing Scorpius was twisting my stomach into terrible knots.

I flopped down onto my side and drew the covers up to my chin tightly, my eyes still painfully wide open. It was like Christmas Eve, except that Scorpius' present seemed to be a baby.

I hugged my arms around myself. It was lonely work being pregnant at sixteen, but I didn't think the label 'pregnant at seventeen' ensured popularity either. I sighed again and rolled over, stuffing my face into the pillow agitatedly. About forty minutes later, my eyes finally closed of their own accord and I drifted off to sleep.

"ROSE! ROSE, IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY! ROSIE!"

A pillow hit me in the stomach, briefly knocking my breath away, and I opened my eyes indignantly. "I'm awake!"

"HAPPY SEVENTEENTH!" she squealed, loud enough to wake the rest of the house.

"Oh, my god," I exclaimed, sitting up suddenly and whacking my head against the headboard. "Ouch!" I rubbed it with my already injured hand.

"Do some magic!" Dom commanded excitedly, dropping onto the corner of my bed and lying back against the mattress.

I grinned nervously and picked up my wand from my bedside table, enjoying the feeling of it in my hand. I was an adult now. This was an adult's wand, and it was about to perform magic outside of Hogwarts for the first time.

"Hurry up," Dom interrupted my train of thought impatiently. "I'll be seventeen by the time you've cast a spell."

I glanced at her in annoyance, but part of me was just as impatient for the other part of me to get on with it and abuse my own privilege. I pointed my wand at the woolly blanket hanging off Dom's bed.

"Wingardium Leviosa," I said slowly, enjoying the way the sound filled a room that I'd never uttered those words in. I guided the blanket over to us reverently, enjoying the awed expression on my cousin's face. While she was staring up at the hovering material, her mouth forming a slight 'o', I dropped it on her head.

"You're a bitch," she protested in a muffled voice, wrestling it away from her.

"It's my birthday!" I replied teasingly. "You have to be nice to me."

"No I don't, you're not six," she grumbled, but she didn't insult me again for at least three hours.

Moments later, an owl tapped on the window and the two of us, who had been enthralled by the flames I was waving about on the tip of my wand, jumped violently.

I glanced around anxiously. "What if that's the Ministry?" The biggest rule in my house had always been that anyone who used magic outside of term time could face immediate expulsion, and I couldn't shake the feeling that I was still breaking the law.

"Don't be stupid," Dom said uneasily. "You're seventeen."

"Uncle Harry was almost arrested for self-defence when he was fifteen," I replied. "What if I wasn't born until the evening, or something, and it's not legal yet..."