The Damned, Red, Sexy, Lacy, Silky, Skimpy, Uncomfortable, Stupid Pajamas

edited: 14/07/2015

Chapter 2

The Damned, Red, Sexy, Lacy, Silky, Skimpy, Uncomfortable, Stupid Pajamas

I stared at the ceiling gloomily. Mum and Dad had left, arguing, and I hadn't gone downstairs since. I was beginning to have that weird, clingy feeling like I'd had on the train, where I reckoned I could just stay where I was forever, and never face any of my problems. I sighed. Grow up, Rose.

There was a loud pop, and with a sinking feeling, I suspected that James had just apparated into my bedroom. God, the seventh year girls' dormitory didn't know how lucky they were that you couldn't apparate inside the Hogwarts grounds.

"Weasley!" James exclaimed brightly.

"What?" I mumbled.

"Are you ok?!" There was far too much enthusiasm in his eyes for him to respond to a serious conversation.

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Liar," Fred interrupted, suddenly appearing at the foot of my bed.

"What do you mean?" I replied with false cheeriness. "I'm evidently fine."

"Well, no one's seen you in, like, six hours or something,"

"Two," I interrupted. "It's only been two hours."

"Whatever," he replied impatiently. "No one's seen you in, like, six hours or something, even though we were decorating the Christmas tree, which you love, and you don't seem to be showing any signs of coming down for dinner."

Fred was mildly more astute than I gave him credit for.

"I don't feel well," I insisted.

"You look fine," James argued.

"Brilliant. Make sure you don't go into medicine, Potter. 'What seems to be the problem?' 'I think I might be dying.' 'Well you look fine'," I said sarcastically.

"Fuck off, Weasley, you just look mopey," he replied.

"Yeah, well..." I trailed off because it was true. "Anyway, what are you even doing here? Since when did you give a shit about me?"

"Mum sent me to get you. She said Al was worried about you."

"Why didn't she send him, then?" I muttered. "I could do with some emotional intelligence in this bedroom."

"Don't be rude. Come on, Red."

I sighed. "Yeah, whatever. I'll come and have some dinner. Do you know what it is?"

"Shepherd's pie," Fred replied promptly

My cast-iron, don't-talk-to-me, I'm-going-to-mope-forever resolve was wavering. "I actually really like shepherd's pie," I replied conversationally.

James rolled his eyes. "No one cares, Rose."

"You invited yourself into my bedroom, forced me to come downstairs for dinner and told me I didn't look ill, and the moment I try and make some conversation you shoot me down. Fuck off, James. As soon as I'm seventeen, I'll be talking to McGonagall about casting Hogwarts' anti-apparition charm within a ten mile radius of myself," I exclaimed. That idea had only just struck me, but I was actually really impressed with it.

"Yeah, whatever."

I sighed. "I am so unappreciated by you two morons," I replied, dragging myself out of bed. "I'm going down for dinner."

I left James and Fred in my bedroom, predictably already arguing about something – it sounded like James had hexed Fred for no apparent reason – and I went downstairs for dinner, deliberately avoiding any mirrors, because I suddenly couldn't remember the last time I'd had a shower.