Chapter 39 : Curse

Without looking back, Phoebe and I flew towards the middle of the Central that has become a nest of dragons. Looking at them made me remember my travel back to the past—that these two were once generals of their kingdom's army.

Nang makalapit ako sa kanila ay napakunot ang noo ko dahil may kakaiba akong nakita. Somehow, it looks like both of them have aged. Wrinkles appeared on their faces and their hairs became gray.

"What happened?" bulong ko sa sarili ko.

"Because of the curse," biglang sabi ni Phoebe sa isip ko.

"Curse?"

"Do you remember what I said last time? Your parents were in possession of my tablet but because the Exorcists knew that the Spirit Masters were protecting it, they gave it you despite its danger. And when the Great Havoc happened, your parents gave everything they have to stop Ignus. I don't know where they got or who taught them the Seal of Time, but they used it against him."

"Seal of Time?"

"Yes. It's a kind of seal but is considered as a curse because of its nature."

"Why? Is it that bad?"

"Yes, because it's practically the opposite of immortality." Pagkasabi niya no'n ay halos napatigil ako sa paghinga. "Because once the target is sealed and he uses his guardian, he will age rapidly."

Kinilabutan ako no'ng narinig ko 'yon. That explains the symbols etched on his arms.

"Is Arsen cursed, too?"

"No."

Kahit hindi ko siya nakikita ay naiimagine ko ang expression ni Phoebe. With the tone of her voice, I'm sure that she's hurt and worried about him.

"It's because he chose me," she said, the words choked in her throat. "I told him that my fate is to fight and live alone but he chose to stay by side. But to do that, he needs a lot of time. In contrast with Ignus' curse, I sealed Arsen's spirit with mine. He will still age through time but at a much slower pace."

Bigla naman akong napaisip sa sinabi niya. But now that she's with me, does that mean . . .

"Don't worry," sabi niya at mukhang nabasa niya ang iniisip ko. "For hundreds of years, he restrained himself from using his guardian too much because it also hastens his time. When you showed yourself to him, he already knew his fate, that's why he can use Lerna as much as he wants."

After hearing that, I tried hard to choke my tears back. Inalis ko sa isip ko ang mga pag-aalinlangan at huminga nang malalim. Tinignan ko ulit sina Arsen at Ignus habang nagpapalitan ng atake ang guardians nila. Phoebe glided to Arsen's direction and both of them looked at me.

"My, my." Ngumiti sa akin si Ignus. "Is the princess finally awake?"

"That's enough," I sternly said. His expression suddenly turned serious but I felt that under that calmness was an enraged man.

"So you really have awaken, Princess Phoebe."

Hearing those words from him was daunting. Hindi man nabuhay si Ignus noong panahon nina Phoebe, nakikita ko sa kanya si General Helios. Siguro ay iyon din ang dahilan kung bakit nagagamit niya si Hell. They both have the same goals.

"Reika, let me talk to him," Phoebe said and an incantation lingered around my mind.

"Chroina vien alav," I chanted and some spirit particles came off Phoebe's body. Medyo natakot ako dahil baka bigla na lang magdissolve ang physical form ni Phoebe habang nasa likod niya ako.