Chapter 42 : Burning Sky

The explosion caused by the contact of my sword and Ignus' armor pushed me backwards but my flame wings kept me balanced. Ignus remained inside the explosion, surrounded by thick smoke and flames. I choked back my tears, trying not to lose my focus but I ended up thinking about her.

"I'll be your shadow, so be my light."

It felt like someone punched my stomach. I'm just hoping, praying, that Phoebe's fire will save her.

I was startled when I heard a sudden growl from the fire. Ignus broadsword cut the explosion and I saw him clutching his chest with blood dripping down his armor. He glared at me while summoning a fire on his hand, then he thrust it in his armor, probably to close off the wound.

With the burning anger and frustration inside me, I glared back at him.

"That was for Arsen," I said and like him, I summoned a blue fire on my hand. "This is for Phoebe." I flicked my hand and the fire danced, turning into a huge phoenix.

"Hell," he snarled and just like what I did, a dragon made of fire was conjured.

We waited for each other, observing and being aware of the other's attack, when he chose to strike first.

"Phoebe!"

"Hell!"

Our guardians, immediately responding to our calls, charged toward each other at their full speed, but before the phoenix comes in contact with the dragon, I chanted

"Ekrixi." The phoenix exploded into hundreds of flames and it enveloped the dragon. "Synkro," I whispered and the flames collided with each other, extinguishing the fire dragon. Without stopping, I changed their movement and directed them to Ignus. With the wound on his chest and his gradual aging, his actions became slower.

"Is this your futile act of revenge?" he said while waving his broadsword and it started to change its appearance. "Morfo tou," he chanted and he was suddenly cocooned with lava and fire.

My flames plowed into him but his cocoon protected him. Seconds after, he came out with a different appearance. His armor dwindled into a mere chest and arm guard, covering his wounded area, with fire and lava spouting from his smaller sword.

 His armor dwindled into a mere chest and arm guard, covering his wounded area, with fire and lava spouting from his smaller sword