NOLA Baby (part1)

Start from the beginning

"Thank you for calling the man who loves you. How can I help you today?" Detrick mocked a customer service rep.

"Ha Hi babe."

"Hey. You alright?" His smile faded at the sound of her voice.

"Yea just have a lot going on."

"Anything that I can help with?"

"Ummm... no."

"Are you sure?" Detrick asked.

"Detrick we have to talk tonight." Dessiah urged herself to say, that way the agenda was set and she had no choice but to tell him.

"Sounds serious."

"It is." The tone of her voice and weight of her words felt like boulders had fallen on his chest. Detrick didn't want to think of the worst, but when was it ever good for a woman to say you need to talk?

Delaney walked out of the stall after flushing the toilet to wash her hands. A slender woman stood in the mirror refreshing her lip gloss. Delaney pushed her sweater sleeves back and reached for the faucet. For some reason, this particular faucet was too far for her to reach.

"Ugh!" She grunted.

"Need some help?" The young woman asked.

"Yes please." The woman came behind Delaney and held her up over the sink. Once done she let her down and handed her a paper towel.

"Here you go. What's your name?" The woman asked.

"Delaney. And yours?"

"I'm Desiree. Nice to meet you Delaney. I saw you earlier in the mall. Was that your Daddy you were with?"

"No. I wish he was though, but he's just my mom's boyfriend."

"Oh wow! How long have they been together?" Something about the woman's questions seemed normal, however the awkward silence afterward made Delaney feel uneasy.

"Not long. Well, I have to go. Thank you for your help."

"Your welcome dear."

"See you around" Delaney waved.

"Yea, see you soon." The woman remained in the bathroom while Delaney exited."

Detrick began to pace speaking to Dessiah. Is it anything you can tell me now? Did I do something?"

"No Detrick you have been perfect. Just somethings I need to discuss with you in private."

"I'm done Detrick." Delaney said walking up to him.

"Okay. Your Mom's on the phone do you want to talk to her?"

"No thank you I can talk to her when she comes home. Ooh can I get a pretzel please? Its right there." Delaney pointed across the kiosk.

"Sure." Detrick handed her five dollars. "I'll be right here."

"Okay thanks." Delaney ran off.

"Siah? Are you there?"

"Yea I'm still here I-"

"Detrick? Detrick Simmons?" A woman called out from behind him. At that moment he felt like his heart fell to his feet.

"Dedra?" He looked in disbelief at the smiling face staring back at him. "Si I... I ... gotta call you ba.. back." He stuttered.

"Okay Babe. I'll see you when-"The call ended. Dessiah looked at her phone. 'Did he just hang up on me? Who is Dedra?' Hell I have some nerve to even ask considering I'm still married.

"Hi De! I thought that was you." She hugged him quickly and he did not return the gesture. Her beautiful honey blonde hair fell inches past her shoulders and covered his face in her embrace. Pulling away her smile never faded. Detrick looked at her full lips covered in red lipstick. Lips that he never got tired of kissing and her slanted were the eyes that he enjoyed his reflection dance in. Unfortunately now she was just the woman who broke his heart.

"Dedra what are you doing here?" He asked unpleasantly.

"Shopping silly. It's so good to see you. Man I missed you so much. Did your parents tell you I asked about you?"

"No. When did you talk to my parents?"

"I ran into them ex was preaching at their church."

"No they never told me." Knowing his mother she would never bring this woman up to him knowing their past and how bad she hurt Detrick. She turned him cold and made him hate the idea of opening up to another woman. Until meeting Taylour he was completely closed off to the idea of being open again. Since her situation only reminded him of Dedra thank God he was blessed with Dessiah or he may still have been hung up on them.

"So, I don't see a ring Detrick does that mean you're still unattached? I should tell you I am." She placed her hand on his shoulder.

"I'm... I'm.. I ...-"

"Miss me." She finished.

"Umm excuse ME. I got my pretzel." Delaney interrupted. Dedra was caught by surprise.

"Oh Hi! What's your name?" She asked bent over smiling in Delaney's face.

"What's yours?" Delaney replied chewing her pretzel.

"I'm Dedra. Nice to meet you." She stuck out her hand to shake Delaneys'. She wasn't having it and turned to Detrick.

"Daddy I'm ready to go home." Detrick looked down at Delaney shocked by her calling him Daddy and elated at the same time. Some would think it was too soon but for him anything from her never was too soon.

"Daddy?! I didn't know you had a daughter! When did this happen? We haven't been broken up that many years? How old is she Detrick? How old are you 5 or 6?" Dedra asked abrupt.

"How old are you, 51 or 72?" Delaney asked still chewing her pretzel. Detrick was still in shock with so much happening all at once. He had to pull himself out of a daze.

"How old she is Dedra is none of your business. You may be unattached but I'm more than attached, I'm in love. There will never be a "you and me" again so enjoy the memories because I erased them from my mind. Delaney, baby lets head home." Picking her up in his arms he walked away. Dedra stared on and Delaney stared back with her pretzel in one hand and her middle finger pointed held up over Detricks shoulder. Straight faced Delaney was ready to fight anyone even thinking about coming close to Detrick other than her Mommy.