Chapter 29 - I had it coming.

Start from the beginning

Somewhere in my mind, my conscience is vaguely telling me something. It is saying something like "you didn't give him a chance to explain."

There's no explanation needed. I should've seen it coming. I tell myself firmly. I rub my face, and when I look up again, my gaze falls to the settling sun and a light gasp escapes my lips. The sun looks big and right in front of me, glowing beautiful shades of soft pink and peach. Its bright, but not too much to hurt my eyes. I stare at in awe and the soft light sends mild waves of relaxation through me.  Even though I can't move my eyes from the alluring sun, I also can't help taking in the pinkish orange sky with very light streaks of purple in it. The stunning view makes me forget the hurt for a while. That, or it has lightened it a bit. Either way, I feel better and a small smile creeps onto my face.

My mind creates an image, in which I am explaining the incredible sunset to Luca and he is listening with that expression he always has when he's genuinely interested, slightly raised eyebrows and attentive eyes. With yet another deep sigh, I shake the image out of my head and rest it back, closing my eyes. 

I sit there for who knows how long, just staring at the amazing horizon, letting it relax me and fill me up with some kind of some weird, inexplicable joy.I might have dozed off a little, because when I opened my eyes, they felt a bit heavy. I'm slightly taken aback by the sky, which is much darker now.

How long was I out for?!

Feeling better than before, nevertheless, I get up and brush grass off my clothes, ready to go home when my phone rings. I pull it out of my pocket.

Lucass Calling...

I ignore the call and let my phone ring, until it ends and I notice that I have six text messages and a missed call. The call and one of the messages are from my dad, one message is from Sienna, one from Krista, and three from Luca. For the moment, I decide not to read them and put the phone back in my pocket, beginning to walk towards home. The ringing starts again, stops after a while, but begins again as soon as it ended. I ignore it again. This time when the call ringtone ends, my phone beeps softly, signaling another message.

Lost in thoughts, I don't notice the time at all while walking home, and when I reach the front door, I'm slightly surprised that my feet carried me here as if they had a mind of their own, or some direction set in them. Trusty ol' feet.

I ring the doorbell. The door is opened by my dad, who greets me with a smile. "Hey. You're early. Where were you? You left early, didn't you?"

I frown. "How do you know?"

"Your Lucas pal came here a while ago." He informs me.

"Really?! Why?"

"He asked if he could see you, and I told him that you hadn't come home yet. I was confused, don't you work where he lives?"

Yep, just a worker. "I do." I reply, passing Stella in the living room who's sitting on the couch with a couple of books spread out in front of her on the coffee table, scribbling in one of them. Doing her own homework, didn't know she could do that. Welp, this day is just full of surprises.