The Gentleman

New Orleans, the place you'd called home long before you'd gotten married, had a child or been cheated on. It was your secret hope that your daughter would fall in love with the city the same way you had and would thrive in the bustling hubbub of music and laughter.

You told everyone that you needed a clean start, but you knew New Orleans was neither clean, nor a place any sane person who knew of the city's underbelly would make a new start. But for now you intended to avoid your childhood witch friends and the vampire companions that were drug along with them and show you daughter how pretty the city looked.

You smiled as your daughter played in the park, kicking her little plastic ball around the grass and enjoying the open space she hadn't been able to enjoy at your old home. Your eyes left her for a moment as one of the mothers came over to talk to you, the thought of knowing some other families had you distracted for no more than a few seconds.

"Mommy my ball!" She wailed as it rolled across the road, running after it before you could say anything.

"(Y/D/N)!" you yelped and hurried after her as a car sped round the corner.

You lost sight of her as a group of people walked between you and you tried to push through them. When you finally did a friendly man in a suit was holding your daughter, the ball in the hand that wasn't clutching her.

"There you go, you shouldn't run in the road sweetheart." He muttered to your daughter who seemed a little dazed.

"Thank you... so much... I... can I make it up to you?" You gushed as he handed her back to you.

"It was nothing, please don't feel like you must do something for me." He said back as he kissed the back of your daughter's hand making her giggle and hide her face in your neck.

"I insist, we just moved here but I can..." you started but he shook his head.

"It is fine; I have no doubt I'll see you two around the Quarter." He bowed slightly and kissed the back of your own hand before handing you the ball and hurrying off into the crowd of people.

"Mommy, your face is red." Your daughter giggled as she leant back in your arms to look at you."

"You shouldn't have run out into the road." You scolded gently, your eyes still fixed on the spot the man had vanished into.