Chapter Thirty-Two

I walked into Olive Garden where Michelle and Rich already were. It was around lunch time so it wasn't too busy and I was able to spot Michelle and Rich fairly quick.
"Hi baby." I said, kissing him on the top of his head then I took a seat beside him.
"Did you already order?" I asked Michelle.
She shook her head, "Nope we waited for you."
I thanked them both then looked through the menu for what I wanted to eat.
"Can I watch videos on your phone mommy?" Rich asked. I handed him my phone then turned my attention back to what Michelle was saying. "He's been all over the news." I said after she mentioned talking to Eric.
"I seen but didn't bother to watch it. I turned it off before he had a chance to see it."
I looked over to see him concentrated on the video with his headphones in.
"Has he said anything?" I asked, referring to Eric. She nodded her head and sighed, "He's being hot headed right now so don't take anything he says to heart." She said and I gathered there was more to come after that statement. "He wants to see you and I'm supposed to relay that message to you but considering the derogatory things he has been saying, I don't think it's a good idea."
I leaned my head a little to the left and questioned why he would want to see me.
"So, how much do you know?" I asked. She shrugged her shoulders, "He's said things but I know they aren't true. Like I said he is just hot headed and looking for an easy target to attack" She was avoiding my questions and for some reason that started to aggravate me.
"You're doing a lot of talking but not saying anything at all. What has he told you?" I asked.
She looked at Rich then towards me, "He said that you cheated on him." She whispered like it was top secret and no one could find out.
I nodded my head and waited for more but nothing came. "That's it?" I asked.
She shook her head, "Said you were leaving him to be with whoever you cheated on him with. He said y'all bought a place together."
I shook my head, "That isn't true-" I was going to explain that we didn't buy the place together but she butted in, "Oh, I know Nicki. I didn't believe him for a minute. I know you're better than that." She said. I sighed and looked down, not sure how to tell her something that will change her outlook on me forever.
"I did cheat well, if you want to call it that. Our situation was never sexual but the emotions were there." I admitted. She stared at me blankly and once it became too intense I had to look away. "Wait," She said, "I'm confused."
I took a deep breath and then explained everything to her. I told her all about Rihmeek, about Eric cheating, and about his reaction when he found out. Once I was done she looked disappointed to say the least.
"He...hit you?" She mumbled looking down at her food that had been brought out to us while I was explaining the situation. I nodded my head. "I can't believe this." She said, her voice cracking. "It's okay, Chelle." I said while rubbing her hand. "No it's not and don't ever think it is." She said. I sighed not sure what to say to make her feel better because she was right, it isn't okay. "He's just like our father." She whispered so low I wouldn't have been able to hear her if I hadn't read her lips.
"I've denied it for a long time but the way he treated you, being a workaholic, the way he treated Rich. I knew it was a matter of time." She sobbed but then covered her face with her hands, "I thought he was different. After he seen what our mother was put through I wanted to believe he wouldn't turn out just like the man. No, not my brother." I felt terrible for her. I've known about their family problems but not the extent of them. All I knew was that her and Eric were the only two close in the whole family. They have an estranged brother who has nothing to do with either of them. Their dad died of a stroke a few years back and their brother put their mom in a nursing home. "I'm so sorry," I apologized while rubbing her hand, "I think he just needs help." I meant that too. Aside from whatever happens between us, he is still her brother and the only family member she has. I know what it's like to loose your family and I wouldn't wish that loneliness on anyone.
"He's a good guy, he's just lost right now."
It didn't take her long to pull herself back together and we were able to enjoy our lunch and carry on a lighter conversation. Once we were done I decided to pay for our lunch then we both walked out to our cars.
"Go get in the car baby, I'll be there in a second." I told Rich then watched him until I made sure he was in the car.
"Where is Eric?" I asked. She narrowed her eyebrows then shook her head, "I don't think you seeing him right now is a good idea. He's angry, Nic, like really angry." I shrugged my shoulders then kicked my foot back and fourth.
"How much can he do laying in a hospital bed injured? He said he wanted to see me, right?"
She slowly nodded her head but her face still held a worried expression. "I don't know, Nic."
She sighed and I did the same. "The sooner we talk the better. He isn't going to do anything. As of right now he's all bark and no bite. I'm not afraid of him," I wanted what I said to be the truth but it wasn't. I'm terrified of talking to him. "His room number is 345" She said.
I nodded my head, "Don't take Rich with you."
I shook my head, "I didn't plan on it."
I don't ever plan on taking him around Eric ever again. "If and when you go see him make sure you call me and let me know how it goes."
I nodded my head, "I will." We hugged and said our goodbyes then I got in Rihmeek's car and headed to his house.
-
"Daddy!" Rich said as he ran and jumped into Rihmeek's arms. I smiled while watching them interact with each other. I sat my purse and his keys on the counter then leaned back against it.
"How was your lunch?" He asked him.
"It was good." I walked over to him and wrapped my arm around his waist and used my other to hug Rich. "I missed you two." He said as he kissed the top of my head.
"I missed you too." I said, squeezing them both. "What did you do while we were gone?"
I pulled away and looked up at him, crossing my arms against my midsection.
"Talked to some people and went through emails." He said. I nodded my head and watched Rich wiggle out of his arms and run off through the house. "I need to talk to you."
I said turning around to walk into the kitchen.
"About?" I sighed turning around to face him. Already knowing how this is going to turn out I questioned myself for even bringing this up.
I just felt like it would be better if I didn't sneak around. "I'm going to see Eric." I said. His facial expression didn't change and for a second I thought he hadn't heard me. As I started to repeat myself he spoke up, "The hell you are." He said. I plopped down on a bar stool and sighed, "Yes I am." I watched him cross his arms and the taunting look on his face told me I was testing the waters. "He wants to talk to me. I'm not sure what it is that he wants to talk about or why I want to know, but I do." I said like it would make sense to him but I knew better. "Please don't fight me on this, Rihmeek" I pleaded. "We'll be in the hospital so he isn't going to try anything. Look at it this way, the sooner I get to talk to him the sooner we can get this divorce process rolling."
He shook his head and walked towards the refrigerator. I waited for him to say something but he never did. "So?" I questioned.
"Looks like you have already made up your mind. Go see him if you feel like that's what you need to do. Don't need my approval."
I rolled my eyes and groaned dramatically, "Yes I do, Rihmeek." I said, crossing my arms with an attitude. "If I didn't then I wouldn't have brought it up." He chuckled while walking towards me now with a bottle of water in his hand. "Loose the attitude," He said as he eased a hand up to cup the side of my face, "I will never approve of you being around him." He said. I sighed and started to pull my face away but he moved quick and gripped the back of my neck. "Listen, you're grown so if you want to go and see him, go." I averted my look from his face because I couldn't stand the way he was looking at me. "Just know if he try's something with you again I'm going to be rotting in a jail cell." I reached my hand up and covered his before I turned and kissed his palm.
"I'll be fine." I reassured him. "He's crazy but not that crazy." He shrugged his shoulders.
-
I walked into the hospital and immediately felt awkward. I don't know if it was my nerves or if I was just overthinking but I felt everyone's eyes on me and I'm pretty sure people where whispering behind my back.
"How can I help you?" A young woman sitting at the front desk asked. "I'm here to see my husband." I said turning to look at the middle aged woman who was staring a hole through my head. "That is?" I heard the woman repeat.
"Eric Montgomery, sorry." I said.
She tried to mask her shock but she didn't fool anyone with the way her eyes widened.
"Of course," She said, "He's been expecting you." I hesitantly nodded my head.
"I know." She typed something on her computer then turned her attention back on me. "Third floor, room 345. He has a visitor right now but you're still allowed up there."
I thanked her then headed for the elevator. Before I walked away she turned and gave a skeptical look to her colleague.
Once I made it inside the elevator I clicked the button with the number three on it and watched the doors shut. I inhaled and exhaled deeply and leaned back against the wall.
The closer the elevator rose to the third floor, the clearer I heard my gut telling me I shouldn't be here. I shook it off though assuming it was my nerves.
The elevator made it to the third floor quicker than I liked but I made my way out before I had time to second guess my decision.
The stares and whispers got worse the closer I got to his room.
Room 343
Room 344
Room...345
I knocked on the door twice and heard him tell me it was alright to enter. His voice alone gave me cold chills and I closed my eyes wondering how we have come to this.
I slowly opened the door and when I stepped inside my eyes met with the last person I expected to see. He didn't seem as shocked to see me. The look on his face was more of an expression of disappointment, or even disgust.
"W-What are you doing here?" I stuttered.
He crossed his leg over his knee and leaned back as he folded his hands over each other.
"I'm not allowed to visit my son-in-law?"
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I'm graduating this week and my birthday is this week too 🎉😊
I'll try my best but don't expect many updates this week because I'm about to be super busy.

Please ignore any errors 😘