Chapter Six

"I miss you, Momma." I smiled, his sweet little voice seems to be the only thing that brings happiness into my life these days. "I miss you too baby. I'll be home before you know it."
I listened as he told me all the places Michelle has taken him, and all the things they have done. She's kept him busy and entertained.
"How many days till you come back?" He asked. "Just three more days."
My mom walked in as I was telling Rich goodbye. "How is he doing without his momma?" She asked. I rolled my eyes as I sat my phone on the nightstand. "He's doing just fine." I heard her clear her throat before sitting down beside me. "Are you sure you want to do this alone?" She asked. I nodded my head then scratched my neck out of aggravation. "I can go with you. It would be no hassle. I can also help you go over the documents. I can-" I rolled my neck before letting out a sigh, "Mother I," I lowered my voice before continuing, "I don't need you for moral support or to go over the documents with me. I'm grown, I am more than capable." She stood up and rubbed her hands over her hips. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it-" She waved her hand signaling me to stop, "Don't apologize for the way you feel, Nika. You have every right to feel the way you do."
I felt terrible for the way I snapped at her. After talking last night I somewhat felt like we were onto a better start, but yet again she is trying to dictate my life.
After I finished fixing my hair I glanced in the mirror once more before I walked out. I could hear her in the kitchen so I made my way down the stairs. "How do I look?" I asked.
She turned around and smiled before placing her glass of wine on the marble counter top.
"You look lovely." As I looked her in the eyes not even she could mask the pain. Throughout my life I have always been amazed by my mother's strength. When I was younger I used to joke and say she was cold-hearted because nothing seemed to faze her.
"Are you okay?" As soon as I asked the question she masked her face with her best poker face and the fake smile was plastered back on her face. "I am fine, dearie."
I didn't bother to question her anymore. I have forty minutes to find Richard's attorneys office so I need to go. We can talk later.
I kissed her cheek before I walked out the door.
~
"Please wait right here ma'am. Mr. Johnson will be with you in just a moment." A tall, skinny blonde said while directing me to the small waiting area. I thanked her before taking a seat. I tapped my foot out of nervousness while trying to focus on anything that would calm my anxiety. Glancing down at my phone I noted that I was ten minutes early.
What felt like forever passed by until the same woman appeared in the doorway to let me know Mr. Johnson was ready to see me.
"Thank you." I said as she directed me towards his office. I was halfway towards his door before I heard a very familiar voice. A voice I could pick out of any crowd. Also, a voice I haven't heard in a long time.
I felt my heart skip a beat as I turned around to match his voice with a face. When I turned around I couldn't believe my own eyes.
It can't be him. He is gone. He has moved away and moved on. I've heard of stress causing people to act irrational but I'm not sure I've heard of it causing hallucinations.
"Rihmeek?" I mentally scolded myself for acting so delirious, that was until he turned around. "Oh my God." I said to myself before covering my mouth with my hand. I'm sure our faces mimicked each other's. He was shocked and I was, well I was baffled. Before I could say another word he turned around and walked out of the firm. I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until I gasped from the slap in the face from reality. I quickly looked around making sure no one had witnessed that and silently thanked God when I found that no one had.
I took a few minutes to collect myself before I knocked on Mr. Johnson's door. He called for me to come in and once I was inside he gestured for me to sit in the chair across from his desk. "I apologize for the wait." He said while looking over some papers. "No need, I was early anyways." I watched him look over some more documents before typing something on his computer then turning his attention back onto me.
"So I take it you and Mr. White were considered of good association." I was confused as to what he meant but decided to just nod my head and agree. "He was a great friend of mine, yes." I added. He raised an eyebrow while looking towards the documents once more. "With all he has left to you I would have to agree with you. He seemed to be very fond of you, from what I can tell." He said causing an eagerness to know what exactly he left for me.
"Now, not everyone is happy to receive an inheritance. Depending on your personal situation, you might elect to refuse or disclaim a bequest against it. A disclaimer must usually be in writing and, in some states, you may have to have your disclaimer notarized." He said what I'm sure he has to say to everyone. I listened as he explained what process would need to be taken by accepting or denying my inheritance. The more he talked the more I itched to read the documents myself.
Richard and I was close, but he had family out of state that I am sure stake claim on most of his belongings. He couldn't have left me much, not that he even had to. I would have been fine without. Knowing Richard's kind heart I'm not surprised he did though.
"Mr. White has chose to leave his real estate in your possession. He had formally chose to leave it to you and another man, named Robert Williams. Do you know of this man?" He asked.
Just hearing his name caused me to feel jittery.
"Yes, I do know Robert." I answered.
He nodded his head and typed something on his computer. "Mr. Williams has disclaimed his inheritance. He has chose to let you decide what happens to the property."
I ran a hand through my hair and sighed. Of course, he left it up to me. I have no idea what to do with property in Philadelphia when I live across the country. "Robert doesn't want anything to do with it?" I asked, double-checking that I heard him correctly. "Yes, he said it would be no use to him and that he is sure you would rather have it." He elaborated.
How am I supposed to decide on the spot? I'm sure Eric would object. We have enough estate.
Letting Richard's land go isn't something I'm willing to do though. That is something that he took pride in. From building the house with his very own hands, to his wife creating all the beautiful flower gardens that surround their home. It wouldn't seem right to let a stranger tear it apart. "I'm not sure what to do, sir. I live in California. There is no way for me to keep up with the property as it should be kept." I vocalized my dilemma. He nodded his head and smiled, "I wouldn't expect an immediate answer. I advise you talk to a real estate agent. I understand your hesitation." He said.
Why would Rihmeek leave this to me? It was considered his home, he lived there. I was lucky enough to stay only because of him. It should be considered his more than it should be considered mine. "Do you have Robert's number? He changed it and I haven't got a chance to ask for his new number." I lied.
He looked at me for a few seconds almost giving the impression he didn't believe me. Once he looked down at his paper and nodded his head I relaxed. "Yes, I have it right here."
I saved his number as Mr. Johnson read it off to me. "If I talk to Robert I think I'll have a better understanding on what to do." I said.
"That is fine. Office hours are 8-6 and here is my card," He said while handing me a white card with his firm, name, and number on it. "Feel free to stop by or call."
I slid his card into my purse so I wouldn't loose it. "I will." I said. He stood up and walked me to the door. As I walked outside i couldn't help but wonder why he had me fly all the way out here for just that. Why hadn't he just said something over the phone so I could make a decision before we met?
I drove straight home to tell my mother. I wish I had let her go with me. She could have made better sense of the situation.
Once I made it home I found her on the balcony. She was reading a book and drinking a glass of white wine. I smiled at the sight and sat down beside her. "How did it go?" She asked. I sighed before sitting back and propping up my feet. "It wasn't bad. I should have let you go." I admitted. I avoided the satisfaction I'm sure is written all over her face.
"I was left his real estate." I said with widened eyes. I still couldn't believe it myself.
"What?" She clearly heard me, but couldn't believe it herself. "What do you plan on doing with it?" She asked. I shrugged my shoulders. I have no idea what to do, how to do it, if I should. "I don't know." I said.
She nodded her head before we fell into silence. I desperately need to talk to Rihmeek, now for another reason than my own pleasure.
He is acting irrational. I'm sure he is doing this just out of spite and in the honor of Richard I can't let that be. "What do you want to do?" She asked. I shrugged my shoulders again, "I have to talk to Eric and I need to-" I started to say but was interrupted, "I want to know what you want to do. Forget what Eric wants, forget what I want, what do you, Onika, want?"
I hadn't really thought about it so it took me a minute to answer. "Out of respect for Richard I feel like it would only be right if I keep it. I have no idea what to do with it though. I live in California." I scratched my neck while waiting for her to put in her input. I looked her way when she stayed silent. She looked like she was really thinking about something.
"Have you ever thought about moving home?"
There she goes! I knew it was bound to happen.
"I have a home, life, and family in California. That is home now." I said. She nodded her head, "I just wondered. All I can say is, do what you want. I will help anyway I can."
Her words surprised me. I expected her to tell me what I should do with it, why I should do it, and even point me to her real estate agent. So I was surprised that, that was her only input.
I spent another hour with her on the porch and we talked about any and everything. I excused myself to use the bathroom and walked inside. I checked my phone and replied to a few texts when I remembered I had Rihmeek's number. I stared at the ten numbers in confusion as to why they caused me to feel nervous. Talking to him about this won't be hard. This has to be done. We need to put our differences aside and make a rational decision.
I stared at the number for a few minutes before I decided there is no better time to call than the present. If I procrastinate I'll never do it. I pressed his number to call and took a deep breath as it began to ring.
Every time the phone rang I felt my heart beat a little faster. After not talking to him for so long I feel like I've forgot how to talk to him.
"Hello?"
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N
I apologize for being a slow writer guys. I've just been busy so it's taking me a little bit to update. I promise I'll try my best to update at least once a week, if not more. 😁

Please, excuse any errors.

Comment & Vote