Chapter Twenty-One

"Where do you want to eat, lil man?" Rihmeek asked as we drove down the road. "The pancake place" He said with every bit of excitement showing in his voice. Rihmeek looked towards me with questioning eyes, not understanding our code name. "IHOP" I whispered. He nodded his head then focused back on the road. I looked out the window while listening to them carry on conversations like they've known each other for years.
I closed my eyes for a few minutes and made the mistake of imagining what it'd be like if this was my life everyday-what it would be like if he hadn't missed all these years.
"No, dad," Rich said, shocking us both. The tension in the car made that clear, but we played it off so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable.
"You don't think so?" Rihmeek asked. I turned my head and wiped my eyes as I felt him place a hand on my thigh.
Once we made it into IHOP we sat at a booth and they stuck me on a side by myself. I watched them interact and fell even more in love with them both. Watching them together, you would never guess that they just met today.
"What do you want to do today?" He asked Rich. "Go to the park!" Rihmeek's eyes met mine and he laughed. I'm assuming because those were the exact words that used to come out of my mouth whenever he asked me that.
"Can you play basketball?" Rich asked.
Hearing him ask that took me back to a conversation Rihmeek and I had not too long  ago
-
"You want kids?" I asked Rihmeek while I watched him work on Richard's car.
"I do." He said. "How many?" I asked, "I want two-two girls, and I want them to grow up together and be best friends." I continued.
"It don't matter to me. Just want em' to be healthy." I rolled my eyes at his answer, "Come on, Rihmeek. What would you want, if you got to pick?" He threw a towel down and sighed, not at me but because of his exhaustion
"I guess I'd want a boy and girl, so I could have both." I smiled at his answer. The thought of him thinking of his future, and wanting children gave me a sense of hope.
"I think you'd be a great daddy, Rihmeek. I can picture it already. You playing basketball with the boy while the little girl cheers for you to win because she's daddy's little girl." He walked towards me with a huge grin on his face. "Daddy's little girl, huh?" I dropped my head and blushed, that causing him to laugh and grab something behind me. Changing the subject I asked, " Do you think you would be strict or a push over?" I asked. "A push over. I can't tell you no, let alone something we create." I smiled so wide at his answer that my cheeks hurt. "Something we create?" I questioned. He nodded his head while he let out a small chuckle, "You're gonna be my baby mama."
-
Little did we know at the time I was pregnant with his first born son. Six years later after that conversation we are sat here debating on who is going to win their basketball game.
Our waitress brought out our food and ended their debate. I picked up my knife to cut Rich's pancakes but Rihmeek picked up his plate before I got the chance.
"Thank you dad" Rich said once he sat his plate back in front of him. The entire time we were eating Rich didn't stop talking. He had a million and one questions, and Rihmeek seemed to have an answer for every one.
  "I'm gonna go swing." Rich said, looking towards all the kids. "Go on baby, we'll be right here." I could see the swings from the bench we were sitting at so j didn't worry about him going by himself. "Don't leave, okay?" He spoke while looking at Rihmeek. "I'll be right here."
Soon he was off doing his own thing and Rihmeek laughed while shaking his head.
"Man, this shit is unreal." He said while watching Rich swing. "He's mine."
I smiled, watching him admire from afar.
"Lives, eats, and breaths just like you." I said.
It's true. There isn't a day he doesn't do at least one thing that reminds me of Rihmeek.
"He's got me wrapped." I nodded my head, knowing exactly what he meant.
"We made that, Rihmeek." I said as we both watched Rich attempt to swing by himself.
He didn't say anything but the smile on his face said it all. "I've been unsure of a lot of things in life but I know I got it right with him."
He nodded his head in agreement and looked towards me. "Thank you." I narrowed my eyebrows but he elaborated before I had the chance to question him. "For doing the right thing." I looked towards Rich and sighed, "You know, for the longest time I resented him." It was damn near painful to admit that but I felt the need to tell him. "I was so young and still immature that I selfishly wanted to blame my problems on him," I didn't dare make eye contact with him. My eyes filled with tears thinking of my next confession, "I would lay in my bed and listen to him cry, just laid there.." I had my eyes closed but tears still escaped.
"I was such a terrible person, Rihmeek.."
He was silent for awhile but I understood.
"What changed?" He finally asked.
"Richard talked to me. Talked sense back into me. I'm so grateful for that man. When I came back here I held him for hours admiring everything that he is. He saved me, and I was too young to realize that." I opened my eyes and he was smiling at me. "That doesn't make you a terrible person." He said, "You've done this alone. That makes you nothing short of amazing. I know grown women that couldn't even do it. My mother, for example."
I shrugged my shoulders. I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. "He loves you, that is clear as day." He said looking back towards him.
I smiled, noticing the entire time we've been sat here he's barley taken his attention off of him. "He loves you too" I said.
   A few hours later and we were still at the park but I was now sitting on the bench alone while they played basketball. "Mommy, did you see that?" Rich asked, shock written all over his face after Rihmeek shot a three pointer and made it. I laughed at his reaction, "I seen it baby." I watched Rihmeek pick him up and run to the goal, letting him make a point.
After there game was over they both sat beside me. They were both tired and Rich looked worn out. "Y'all ready to go?" I asked. Rich nodded his head before whipping his forehead, then Rihmeek did the exact same thing.
   I looked in the rearview mirror and seen that Rich had already fell asleep. "Thank you for today. I know it meant a lot to him." I said.
"Meant a lot to me too." He said. The ride home was annoyingly quiet and I could sense something was bothering Rihmeek, but I didn't ask in hopes the day wouldn't be ruined.
"I'll get him." Rihmeek offered after I had opened the back door. "Oh, yeah. Go ahead."
I unlocked the front door then stepped aside so he could carry him into the living room.
"Don't leave me!" Rich said, reaching up for Rihmeek. He picked him up and held him tightly. "I'm not going anywhere." He reassured him. His outburst worried me though, because Rihmeek is going to leave and I'm not sure how he is going to take that.
"Can we talk?" Rihmeek asked. I nodded my head and pointed towards the kitchen.
"What's up?" I asked, scooting myself onto the stool. "When do you plan on talking to Eric?"
His question didn't necessarily shock me but I was taken back by his cut-to-the-chase way of asking. "Soon," I said, "I'm just worried about you. Now because of the business deal and" I was in the middle of talking when he cut me off, "Do you think I care about him or the business deal?" He asked, "He comes before everything now, right?" He questioned. I nodded my head. Of course he does. "Exactly, so fuck a business deal."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Please ignore any errors 😘