Chapter Nine

"Just give him some time, Nic." Richard said.
I have been standing outside his bedroom for at least thirty minutes now. He showed no sign of letting me in any time soon.
I came over to talk about what my dad said and he must have took what I said wrong.
"Come in here, let's talk." Under much consideration I decided to give up on trying to get him to let me in, and decided to follow Richard into the living room.
"Did you two have a good weekend?" He asked. I took a seat on the sofa opposite of him. "We did."
Memories of our weekend together flooded my mind and I couldn't help the smile that crossed my face. It was damn near perfect.
"I'm glad. He told me that he had trouble getting you to leave before your parents got home." He chuckled before rubbing his small beard. I laughed myself, remembering how he had to bribe me with breakfast to get me to move out of the bed. "I love spending time with him. Being with him this past weekend was amazing, I didn't want it to end."
The smirk on his face let me know my confession was unnecessary. He seemed to already know it all.
"He cares about you." His confession too, was unnecessary. I've never had a doubt that he cares. "I care about him as well."
I heard Rihmeek open his door then listened as his footsteps got closer and closer until he appeared in the door way. "I'll be back." He spoke to Richard, completely ignoring me.
"Where are you going?" I asked. Like forgetting I was there, he swung his head my way and scoffed, "You don't have to worry about me anymore."
I looked down at the ground for awhile, even after he left. I couldn't fathom the change.
I'm sure this is what my parents want; Rihmeek and I to get in an argument and end what we have that way. Well, I'll be damned if that happens. "I'll be right back as well."
Richard only chuckled as I walked out the door to my car. There are only a few places he would run to, and I'd bet money I know exactly where he is.
-
I stood by the tree and watched as he sat on the bench with his elbows places on his knees with his chin resting in the palms of his hands.
Not only did I stand by the tree out of curiosity as to what he was doing, but because I was actually stuck. I'm not sure what to say to him. If I say something wrong-again, we would get no where. This is our biggest problem. It's close to impossible to sit down with Rihmeek and have a conversation that he doesn't go into defense mode.
Honestly, I didn't expect this morning to take the left turn that it did. When I said, "We need to stop doing what we're doing." In no way did I mean stop being friends-or whatever we are. Of course, that is how he took it.
One thing that he is dire need of is, consistency. That is something he has lacked his entire life. From his parents being in and out of jail, to being pulled out of school so much. Aside from Richard, I am the only constant in his life. So, I can understand why he took such offense in me saying we had to stop. Little does he know I couldn't even if I wanted to.
"Rihmeek." Like being pulled out of deep thought, he jumped and turned around.
I sat down beside him and watched him look anywhere but at me. "Whatcha thinking about?" I asked. He shook his head and slumped back against the bench.
"You know I love you, right?" For the first time in what feels like forever he finally looked me in the eyes. "I'm not giving up on you, Rihmeek." I said. I reluctantly placed my hand on his thigh and felt relief when he didn't flench away. "Will you talk to me?"
He ran a hand over his head and sighed. Not knowing if that was a good sigh or not, I just anticipated whatever he had to say.
"I came out here to think about some shit. If I wanted you out here I would have asked you to ride with me." I tried my best not to take what he said to heart.
"You can't be mad at me for being honest. That isn't fair." I said matter-of-factly. "I'm not mad at you. I'm aggravated."
I don't know what compelled me to do it but I placed a finger under his chin and turned his face towards mine before I conjoined our lips.
It didn't last long until I pulled away and sighed. "Don't be aggravated at me."
He smiled for the first time today then pulled me into his embrace, "Just wish I didn't love you so much." He said. I didn't know whether to take offense to that or not, but I chose not to. For the short time it lasted I cherished being in his arms.
"It won't be like this forever."
~
"How did it go?" My mom asked as soon as I walked in the door. "He agreed to help go through Richard's stuff. That's about as much as I got out of him."
She was setting the table for three, meaning someone was joining us for dinner. "Your dad." She said, almost like she could read my mind.
I didn't know what to say. He wasn't supposed to be home until the end of the week. After I was gone. "Is he here?" I asked.
She shook her head as she placed a plate on the place mat. "He's on his way. His plane landed about twenty minutes ago."
I felt an uneasy feeling that made me want to run out of the house. Years have past since I've been face to face with my dad.
"I've already talked to him, Onika. Everything will be fine." She reassured.
-
"This is nice." My mother said, breaking the fifteen minutes of silence. "How does it taste?" She asked. "Delicious! Thank you, dear."
"How was your flight?" I watched as they interacted like I wasn't there. That is my dads favorite thing to do-forget I exist.
"It was bearable. I'm glad to be home with my girls." I almost chocked on my mashed potatoes when I heard him refer to us both.
"Everything alright?" He asked. I nodded my head while wiping my mouth with a napkin.
"So what did the attorney say?" He asked.
I didn't speak at first due to him actually speaking to me being a foreign concept.
"That the, um, real estate was left to me."
My dads mischievous smile led me to believe he already knew what I was talking about.
"Ah, yes. I knew he would take my advise."
My fork fell out of my hand as I looked up in shock. "Your what?"
He simply chuckled like the topic was nonchalant. "What did you do?" I asked.
My mother looked horrified, which led me to believe he had no clue about this. "Don't worry, baby. Daddy was just looking after his little girl." He said. I could have bit a nail in half.
Those words nearly made me nauseous. "Daddy was just looking after his little girl." That lame excuse is used ever time he does something I don't like.
Of course. Of-fucking-course, he had to have it his way. It's either his way or no way. Did he conjure this out of Richard why he was on his death bed, or did he meet and have a civil ex conversation with him? My guess would be the first option. It sounds more evil and conniving, two traits my dad carries very well.
"My guess is, Robert denied the property?"
Six years later and this man is still dead set on making Rihmeek's life a living hell.
"Excuse me."
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N
I'm sorry for the wait. Please excuse any errors. I'm aware this chapter is supper short compared to the others but this is more of a filler chapter and to just give y'all something for the time being.

If y'all have any questions, please, feel free to ask!

I'll try to update as soon as I can!

Comment & Vote 😘