Chapter One

I stared up at the stars, something I've not done in years. As simple as it may sound my hectic schedule leaves little to no time for luxuries like this. Years ago I could spend countless hours gazing at the stars and never seem to get bored. Although it was his company that kept me content...
~
"Stoooop" I whined in between my fits of uncontrollable laughter. He ignored my protests and continued tickling my sides. I have been laughing so hard,  for so long that I'm afraid if he doesn't stop soon I'll pee my pants. He too was laughing at my awkward movements and positions I made trying to shield myself. "Quit, I'm gonna pee." I pleaded as a tear rolled down my cheek. He finally showed some mercy and rolled back over onto his back. "You're an ass." I said breathlessly with a giggle that followed.
These are the moments I love most. Spending time far from the big city, away from our families, just him and I staring at the stars. I never imagined gazing at stars to be my hobby, but truth be told, it's really being around him that I love so much.
"What you thinking about over there?" He asked, dragging me out of my thoughts. His out calling caused me to blush. If only he knew. "Life" I answered. He nodded his head in agreement.
One of the many things I adore about him so much is his understanding. Even when I say desultory things, he understands. He gets me like no other. The bond we share is irreplaceable and unbreakable. He's the best friend I could have ever asked for.
~
"Mom" I jumped, startled from being caught off guard. I turned around, "Yes?" He handed me the phone. "Someone is on the phone wanting to talk to you." I thanked him for bringing me the phone before he disappeared into the house.
"Hello?" I answered. I didn't recognize the number. It seemed to be out of state.
"Hello, Onika, is it?" The man asked.
"This is she." He didn't speak for a few seconds and for a moment I thought he had hung up. "My name is John Johnson. I am Richard White's attorney. I am calling to request your attendance in my office, located here in Philadelphia-" He spoke before I rudely interrupted, "Wait. Why are you contacting me? Has something happened to Richard?" I questioned. I felt a lump rise in my throat. I'm almost certain I know his answer but I need to hear him say it. "Ma'am, I would rather speak about this in person." He spoke sincerely. I know he means well but I couldn't help but roll my eyes in annoyance. "Please just tell me." I practically begged. I know if he doesn't I won't sleep at all tonight. "I didn't want this to be the way you were informed but your friend, Richard White has passed. I have some very significant documents I need to go over with you." He stated bluntly. I covered my mouth as disbelief washed over me. He was young, well not an adolescent, but he was only in his early fifties. "I am guilt-ridden that this be the way you are notified. I had much rather you been informed in my firm. I do send my condolences." He apologized. I couldn't find my voice to thank him. I had the means but my mouth stayed covered by my hand. This seems so surreal. I wonder if he knows...oh my, he must be taking this hard. I hope and pray he has someone to comfort him. A sympathetic tear rolled down my cheek as I imagined the pain he must feel right now.
I snapped out of my thoughts when Eric, my husband, called my name. When I was brought back to reality I remembered that I was still on the phone. "I'm sorry, I am just...shocked." I apologized. "When do we need to meet?"
I looked up at Eric's puzzled expression. I held up a finger signaling I needed a minute. He nodded before stepping back. "Is Friday convenient for you?" He asked. I nodded my head as if he could see me, "Yes, Friday is fine. What time?" I turned around to find Eric's disappearance and almost felt guilty by the relief I felt. "Ten o'clock, Friday morning." He said. "See you then."
"Thank you." He said before the line went dead. I held the phone to my chest as I stared at nothing significant. To say the news is shocking would be an understatement. It's tragic, really. Richard has been a huge part of my life. To say he was a great friend would be an understatement as well. He's the kindest-or was, the kindest man I have ever known.
"Are you off the phone?" Eric asked.
I nodded my head as I quickly wiped the few tears rolling down my cheek before he seen them. "And who was that on the phone?"
I exhaled my breath I wasn't aware I was holding. "That was an attorney calling to inform me that a friend of mine died and asked that I meet him Friday." I said while staring out into the night. I hated doing it but times like this I tend to distance myself from him.
"I don't really know what to say, Onika, I'm sorry." He sympathized. All I did was nod my head, what could he say? He didn't know the man, nor did he know the importance he had in my life. "When did he ask you to meet him?"
I scratched my scalp, becoming annoyed just by his presence. Any other day he would barley acknowledge me, not sure why he even bothers to ask these questions. We both know he doesn't care. "Friday." I dryly answered.
"I have a meeting Friday so I won't be able to attend with you." I fought from rolling my eyes and just nodded my head. It's not like I was going to ask you to attend anyways. "Well nine o'clock comes early so I'm going to go to bed. Goodnight." He said as he leaned over and kissed my temple. "Again, I'm sorry."
~
"Where is she? I know she's here! She knows where my son is and I need to talk to her, now!" I ran downstairs once I heard some woman in my house, yelling like a mad woman. "You have no business speaking to my daughter. Whatever problems your family is having has nothing to do with her." My mother's thick accent scolded. "Mom, s'okay." I said while never breaking eye contact with the woman standing at my door. I've only met her twice but both encounters she has been nothing but rude and detestable.
"Where is he?" She nearly growled out. It took me by surprise that she had the nerve to talk to me this way not only in front of my mother but in my own house. "I haven't seen him at all this week. I know you know where he is."
I began to feel nervous. I haven't heard from him either. I thought he was just skipping school, working over time. I didn't suspect at all that anything was wrong. "I honestly have no idea. I thought he was just too busy to attend school. When exactly, was the last time you talked to him?" By the expression on her face I could tell she knew I was being honest.
This is so unlike him. Not him going a-wall, but him not telling me where he's going. I'm always the first person he comes to.
Panic rushed through my veins as I began to think of all the horrible things that could be happening to him.
"I-I am sorry for disrupting you. Thank you for your time." She said before backing out of my house like she had seen a ghost.
"I told you not to be fooling with that boy. Them people bring around nothing but trouble. I suggest you keep your tail far away. You don't need drug into their mess." My mom lectured the same scolding I get whenever something comes up involving him.
"He ain't like the rest of them, ma. He's a good boy. He really is! He's intelligent and he wouldn't hurt anyone." I said, starting to become worked up. My parents have never approved of our friendship. They suspect that it's more than that but it's honestly not.
"I've always said having a good heart will get you in trouble one day. You're too naive, Nika. You can't trust everyone you meet."
I don't know whether it was the situation, my nerves, or how tired I was of this speech but I unintentionally snapped at her, "You don't know, mother. Just because you choose to be a judgmental hypocrite, doesn't mean I have to be one too. I love and trust until I'm given a reason not to. Having a good heart isn't a bad thing. It's a hell of a lot better than being cold and bitter like you." I immediately regretted everything I said, but it's the truth. She hasn't even met him but she continues to judge him because of where he lives and his last name. It's pathetic honestly. The worst part of it all is that my dad is ten times worse.
"This is exactly what I mean, Onika. You would never speak to me the way you do before you met him. I'm getting sick of it. You're going to push me so far and one day I'm gonna knock the taste out of your mouth. Don't test me, little girl." With that she walked away leaving me dumbfounded. She's right in some ways. He has changed me but for the better. Before him I was a lot like my mother just not near as judgmental. I didn't pay people like him the time of day. He's taught me to really read a book before I judge the cover. I would never turn my back on him like most do. He is my best friend! Nothing my parents, or anyone else says about him will change my opinion on him.
***
"Omelly!" I yelled before catching up to him. He turned around and smiled. Chances are he already knows what I'm going to ask. I've asked him four times already today. "Have you talked to him?" His smile didn't fade which gave me hope as I anticipated his answer. "He's okay, Nic. I talked to him and he said to tell you he needs some time. He asked that you don't be mad at him, and that he'll explain everything later."
Some time? Some time away from me? That's not like him...what the hell is going on?
"He's okay, Nic. He really is. I wouldn't lie to you." He said. I'm guessing he could sense my discomfort. His words comforted me some but I still had this uneasy feeling about it all. I guess I really just need to see for myself that he's okay. "Can you please tell me where he is? I need to see him." I was almost embarrassed by the desperation coating my voice. Surely he would understand. "He said he need-"
"He said he needed some time, yes, I understand. But I need to see for myself that he's okay. Please just let me see him." I begged.
Maybe I was being desperate or overdramatic but this is my best friend we're talking about. I have no doubt he'd do the same if the roles were reversed. "I'll take you to see him after school. He's going to be pissed at us both but if it will help you sleep at night, I'll take you."
I jumped in his arms, clinging to him tightly. "Thank you so much, O. This means the world to me! I owe you big time."
He chuckled before nodding his head. Now I only have one more class until I get to see him.
Every minute I was looking at the clock. It seemed like an eternity and a half before the bell signaled class was over. I grabbed my bag and my book and ran out of the school. I made it to Omelly's car before he did.
Once Omelly spotted me he laughed, "You really wanna see him, huh?" I nodded my head quickly. I haven't seen him in a week and I barely seen him before that other than at school because he worked so much.
"Let's go before you have a panic attack."
I was halfway in his car before he said anything. I was thankful for Omelly not taking his time. He quickly started the car and got on the road. "You really care about him, don't you?" Omelly asked. I nodded my head, "yeah, I do." He smiled before nodding his head, "You're good for him."
It took about twenty minutes and we pulled in front of an old, brick house. I looked over at Omelly with confusion all over my face.
"Where are we?" I asked. He laughed before opening his door. "This is where he's staying."
Oh, this must be one of his relatives. I got out of the car and followed him up to the door. He knocked on it twice before a middle aged man answered it. He looked us both up and down before turning around, "I'm guessing they're here for you." He said. I heard him say "who" before he appeared in the door way. My heart dropped once my eyes landed on his swollen, purple eye and his busted lip.
"Oh, Rihmeek."
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N
So this is my first Omeeka Fanfic, I hope you guys like it! I've been working on this story for what seems like forever, lmao 😩

Please ignore any errors 😘

Comment & Vote 💋