Chapter Twenty-Eight

**Still Ben's POV**

I ran a hand through my hair. "Umm....."

"What's all this about Ben? Why were you betting on me?" She scrolled a little higher un my messages. "You bet three hundred dollars to see if you could make me fall "head over heels" for you?"

"I can explain, Rose. Just hear me out, please."

"Did you love me back?"

"Of course I did!"

"Then why were you betting on me?"

"I won the money a few days before I left. Probably another reason why I left in the first place." I told her.

"I don't understand." She mumbled.

"And you don't have to. You just have to know that I'm in love with you, and nothing's ever going to change the way I feel about you."

"It doesn't make any sense. Your friend obviously didn't believe that you could make me fall in love with you, so you bet three hundred dollars that you could. Doesn't that only mean that you didn't care enough about me to realise that the bet was stupid? You couldn't have loved me if you just wanted to see if I was in love with you."

"Slow down there, Rose. For your information, I did in fact realise how stupid the bet was. Yes, I probably realised it after I won the money, but still. I fell in love with you though, Rose. The whole time I was away, you were on my mind. I couldn't get you out of my head. I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Rosie. Please forgive me."

"Were you going to end up telling me about this?"

"I don't know." I said.

"So you would've just lied to me about it? Well that's just great." She replied.

"Please forgive me, Rose. I love you so, so much, and I'd hate to lose you again."

"I love you too, but you bet on me and I just feel used."

"I know, I'm sorry. Will you forgive me?"

"I might."

"What do you want me to do? Name it and I'll do it." I told her.

"I want you to pay your friend back the three hundred dollars from the bet." She ordered me.

"All of it?"

"Down to the very last cent."

"Fine. I'll do it. Could you just send him that text now? I only wanted to catch up with him tomorrow."

"Okay."

The rest of the drive to the dance was very, very quiet. Not one word was spoken, nothing. She didn't even steal a glance at me.

"You know, you almost ran the red just then because you were looking at me." She said.

"Channeling your inner Taylor Swift now, are we? If so, I've got heaps of material Sara told me." I replied, smiling.

"I'm the one that listened to her non-stop while you were gone."

"And I listened to Ed Sheeran in honour of you."

"Really?"

"Yep. He actually isn't that bad."

"What's your favourite song of his then?" She questioned me.

"I don't really have a favourite." I told her.

"If you had to pick one, though, which one would it be?"