Chapter Eighteen

**Rosalie's POV**

Today is the first day back at school since our two-week break. Everyone I saw was catching up with friends and chatting excitedly about what they did for their break.

I was at my locker when someone came and stood beside me.

"Hi?" I greeted them awkwardly.

"Rose, it's me." The guy told me.

"Ben? Sorry, I almost didn't recognise you. Your hat's covering the top half of your face."

"I know."

"Why are you wearing that hat anyway?"

"I just am."

"Are you hiding something from me?" I asked him curiously.

"It's nothing." He tried to assure me.

"Yeah right. Just take off the stupid hat already."

"It's fine. I just want to leave it on."

"Ben. If you don't take that hat off right now, I'll be sure to remove it myself."

"Rose, just leave it. I'm fine with the hat on. I'll tell you later if you want."

"But I want to know now. You've got me really curious now. And maybe a little worried too." I said to him.

"I'll tell you later, I promise." He told me.

"Can I try and guess why you're wearing a hat that's covering half your face?"

"I'd rather you wouldn't."

"Then just tell me! I'm not gonna tell anybody else if that's what you're afraid of."

"It's not that."

"Have you been crying or something?" I asked.

"God no." He responded.

"Then tell me what the hell's going on already!"

"Rose, please. I'll be sure to tell you later, I promise."

"You can't go around school all day like that. The hat's bound to come off sooner or later."

"And I pick later, if you don't mind."

"Well I do mind! Just take off the damn hat, Ben." I told him.

"No! For the last time, Rose, I'm not gonna take off the hat. I'll let you in on what's going on later, okay?" He snapped.

"Fine, fine. But if that hat comes off any time before we talk, I'm gonna be real angry if it's something bad."

"It won't."

"Yeah. Good luck with that."

Lunchtime.....

My friends and I decided to sit outside to eat lunch. Zac was sitting next to me, and Jess and John were sitting across from us. They'd made up over the break, and I was generally happy for them.

While eating, I noticed Ben walking across the grass with his other friends. The thing was, his friends took his hat off, revealing the top half of his face.

He had a black eye. A friggin' black eye.

I got up and made my way over to him, not bothering to tell my friends where I was going. His friends dispersed, leaving him standing by himself.

"Is this what you've been hiding from me?" I demanded.

"Yes." He mumbled.

"Who did this to you?"