Chapter 31

Bella's P.O.V

The next day, Edward, Garrett, Tanya, Carlisle, Kate, Emmett, and I were preparing for the fight in a few days.

"Aro plans to disable us before striking. Jane and Alec target me to expect their actions," Edward explained.

Garrett glanced at me. "Wish we all had your shield," he remarked.

"It doesn't help me fight, though."

"No, projecting it could benefit all of us," Tanya suggested.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, shield someone other than you."

"Is that possible?"

"Gifts can develop over time," Carlisle responded.

"At first, mine was in my palms. Now I can radiate it all over my body." Kate said.

I grabbed Kate's hand and squeezed it hard. "How do you do it?" I asked. "Tell me!"

"Ow!" Kate yelled.

I let go of her arm, and Kate spoke. "You need to visualize it. See how it moves and what color it is? Now, picture it expanding. Will it go beyond you?"

I attempted to do it, but my effort was fleeting.

"She needs motivation," Kate commented.

Edward stepped forward.

"No!" I yelled.

"It's okay. I can handle this," Edward reassured him.

"He says that now," Garrett said.

"Bella, focus, or he's going to get hurt," Emmett said.

Edward puts his hand up, ready to touch Kate's hand.

"Edward, I'm not ready to do this yet..." I said.

Kate touched Edward's hand. It sent a painful shock through his body. Edward groaned.

"I'm sorry! I said that I wasn't ready!" I yelled.

"Dude, you're not motivating her," Emmett pointed out.

"You want to try?" Edward asked Emmett.

Emmett raised his hands in surrender and took cautious steps backward. I gave it another try, hoping for a different outcome. Kate touched Edward's finger. It sent another shock through his body, making him groan in pain again.

"Kate!" I yelled.

"You seem to lack incentive. Must I see if Renesmee's awake?" Kate asked.

"Are you crazy?"

"All right, this one's at full power."

As she was about to touch Edward, I lifted my shield. It protected Edward from Kate's power when she touched him.

"It's painful," Edward grimaced, "but it's bearable."

I smiled. "Let's go again," I suggested.

Edward glanced at Emmett and said, "Emmett?"

Emmett raised his hands. "I'm good," he said.

As the evening settled in, Edward entered the cozy living room of the cottage. I stepped into Renesmee's bedroom. I could hear the gentle hum of her favorite lullaby playing. Renesmee looked up and smiled. She was stunning, gazing at around eight or nine.

"Mom, can you read me this story?" Renesmee inquired.

"Sure, sweetie," I responded.

I walked to her bed, tucking her in and feeling the soft blankets. I picked up the book and opened it to the front page—the sound of the pages turning filled the room.