Chapter 30

Bella's P.O.V

I returned downstairs once I settled Renesmee for a nap in the nearest room. Scattered around the house, I saw vampires lurking in the shadows. Jacob stood by the wall, eyes fixed on the vampires. I walked over to him and felt the warmth of his presence as I stood next to him.

Jacob grinned at me. "Many red eyes are present here," he remarked.

"They agreed not to hunt in that area," I explained.

"But they'll feed somewhere."

I thought and glanced at Jacob. "Did you chat with Embry and Quil?" I inquired.

"Yeah, Quil joined my pack yesterday," Jacob responded.

"Wow, it's almost like you have a full pack now."

"Yeah, well, I got to go see you later."

"Okay,"

As Jacob left, more vampires had entered the territory. Carlisle and Esme returned with our last witness. Our previous witness was Alistair. We had opened our home to eighteen vampires, many with gifts. Zafrina has power over the mind; she can make anyone see what she wants them to.

Outside, I watched as Zafrina made Edward see something in the forest. I wondered what he was looking at because I saw nothing.

"If you weren't holding my hand, I swear it was real," Edward remarked.

I glanced at Edward, curious about his focus. "I see nothing," I remarked.

Eleazar approached us, saying, "I didn't know your wife was a shield."

I glanced at Eleazar, then at Edward, curious. "What's a shield?" I inquired.

Edward looked at Eleazar, confused, and then he smiled. He must have read his mind.

"The ones I've met are so different," Edward responded.

Eleazar explained, "It's a talent for defense."

"It's why I couldn't read your mind even before. It is why Aro could not," Edward said.

"You have a powerful gift."

Kate approached me and grabbed my hand to deliver an electric shock. But the attempt failed.

"Oh, yeah, she's a shield, alright," Kate said.

Garrett walked over to Kate. "Or have you exaggerated your voltage?" he asked.

"It might only work on the weak," I mentioned with a shrug.

Kate puts her hand up, daring Garrett to touch her.

"Garrett, I wouldn't," Carlisle said.

Garrett didn't listen. He touched his finger to Kate's hand, got electrocuted, and fell.

Garrett complimented her, "You're an amazing woman."

Jacob's P.O.V

I darted into the woods, crossing paths with the young Quileutes. Their laughter echoed through the trees. I taught them to tap into their primal instincts and control themselves as wolves. Then we ran on our feet.

"You guys could do serious damage, so you need to control your phasing. If your mom upsets you, you don't want to lose your temper," I explained.

I heard something in the woods, and I stopped. "Whoever is coming wasn't invited," I said.

I transformed into a wolf, and the echoes of my paws hitting the ground echoed through the forest. I led the young wolves on our exciting journey. They caught up with me, their footsteps echoing as they chased the two vampires. The vampires leaped into the trees, their movements as silent as the wind in the leaves. They sat on the rocks and mocked us. Carlisle and the other vampires also discover them.

"Hey, Vladimir, Stefan. You're far from home," Carlisle remarked.

Kate asked, "What are they doing here?"

"We heard the Volturi were moving against you. But you will not stand alone," Vladimir responded.

"We didn't commit the accusation," Carlisle said.

"We are unsympathetic about what you did, Carlisle."

"We have been waiting for a millennium for someone to challenge the Italian scum," Stefan said.

"It is not our plan to fight the Volturi," Carlisle said.

"Shame, Aro's witnesses will be so disappointed," Vladimir said.

"They enjoy a good fight," Stefan said.

"Aro's witnesses," Eleazar said.

"Oh, still hoping they'll listen?" Vladimir asked.

Bella's P.O.V

We returned to the house. Footsteps echoed through the hallway. Everyone gathered in the library for a discussion. I took a seat on the steps. I could hear them creak under our weight. Jacob joined me. His presence was comforting.

"When Aro wants someone from a coven. It's never long before evidence proves that a coven committed a crime," Eleazar said.

"Aro did this before?" I asked.

"Yeah, it happens; I never realized it was a pattern."

"He always pardons one person whose thoughts he claims are repenting," Carlisle said.

"This person is always able and given a place with the guard," Eleazar stated.

"This is about Alice; he has no one like her," Edward said.

"Which is why she left?" I asked.

"But why does he need witnesses?" Emmett asked.

"To spread the word that justice has been served. He did it after he slaughtered an entire coven," Alistair said.

"Benjamin, Tia, we are leaving," Amun said.

"And where will you go? Why do you think Alice will please them? Who can prevent them from targeting Benjamin next? Or Zafrina, Kate, or anyone with a gift, anyone they want. Their goal is not punishment; it is about power and its acquisition. Carlisle might not ask you to fight, but I will. For the sake of my family and yours and how you want to live," Edward said.

The vampires paused, and then Jacob stood up. "Our packs will battle vampires; we're not scared," he declared.

The Delanis stood, too. "We will fight," Tanya said.

"This won't be the first time I've fought a king's rule," Garrett said.

"We'll join you," Benjamin said.

"No!" Amun yelled.

"I will do the right thing, Amun. You may do as you please," Benjamin said.

"We will stand with you," Senna said.

"So will we," Siobhan said.

The other vampires stood forward.

"That didn't take much," Vladimir said.

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that," Edward said.

"We will see," Alistair said.

Everyone showed courage, though we knew Aro's army was moving against us. Soon, we would face Jane's dark gifts. And, worse, the paralyzing vapor of her brother Alec. He could rob you of sight, sound, and touch.

 Thanks for reading, and I hope you liked it

Please vote, comment, and share!