42

Willow heard a knock at the door when she was sat in bed. She couldn't properly sleep, who would? Who in their right mind would actually want to sleep after just finding out all of this.

She knew who it was. Willow didn't even bother asking him to come in, though she couldn't say no, Elijah wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Can I come in?" He peered his head through the open door.

Willow raised her eyebrows and huffed, a universal signal for 'you'll come in anyway'. And he did.

He perched on the end of the bed, the exact same spot he sat in when they shared their first kiss, he hoped to rekindle that spark they created there.

"You never gave me chance to tell you how sorry I am" Elijah started

"Just leave it, Elijah, okay? I know you're only saying sorry because you had to bring me back" Willow said exactly how she felt, reminding herself not to be too harsh. She'd feel bad afterwards.

"It was hard for me too" Elijah replied "I had to let you go"

"But nobody made you" Willow shook her head "you did it yourself, no one said oh yeah, if you don't send Willow away, I'm going to murder everyone you love" she made up

"You could have died" Elijah reverted back to the original argument "I couldn't have that"

"You killed me anyway, didn't you?" She asked "because for the past five years, all that was left of Willow was her shell and a frame with her photo in"

"I didn't kill you, I saved you"

"Did you have any idea on what effects it would have on me, post compulsion? Do you honestly have a clue how empty I felt? My parents gave me up, my adoptive parents were murdered and so was my carers and the man that was like a brother to me. you stripped away the last thing I could call a family, you took my family away from me" Willow could barely hold her anger in anymore, it was safe to say she was pretty mellow until now

"I had nightmares of this world, memories coming back in pieces with no context. I spent Christmas on my own in a shoddy apartment with broken heating, I had to wrap a blanket around me and I didn't even get a Christmas tree. From then on I hated Christmas" willow carried on, letting out everything she had saved up "do you understand how much it hurts? Because now-a-days, you can put a price on it. Hundreds of dollars worth of therapy sessions, trying to figure out what these dreams meant and why I don't feel comfortable in my own skin... it was because that wasn't me"

Elijah had to let her go on. He didn't want to hear it but he deserved to, he owed that much to her.

"And out of all the jobs you could compel me to get, you had to tell me to get the worst paying job. A waitress in a dead cafe. I understand the house was paid for, and I'm thankful that I didn't have to pay a penny towards the bills, but a waitress? Really?" Willow went down to the last detail of every single part of that five year life. "I hated myself, because I wasn't myself and you did that to me"

"Willow, I had no idea..."

"I know" she sniffed "I know you had no idea because out of all the time I was there, not once did you bother to come and check up on me. Not a flying visit. Maybe if you did, you would have seen what mess I was"

"I didn't want to risk getting you hurt, or found" he tried that excuse, but it wasn't very strong.

"I got found anyway" she shrugged "what was the difference? I'm always going to be found, even if I'm here or a hideaway in Peru"

"Maybe part of me was so desperate not to lose you, not to go through that pain of seeing you die, I acted selfishly, stupidly. I didn't think about the consequences for anyone else other than..."

"... yourself" Willow finished "look, I understand you wanting to protect the ones you love, you've been through a lot of death. But, hey, I mean, if you wanna stop someone from dying, maybe make them carry around something that heals them, find a way to stop my blood from being magical, anything else but that" her voice seemed calmer now, it quietened.

"so does this mean you aren't angry?" He asked, adding everything up. The slower heart rate, the breathing, the tone of her voice, it seemed like she was calm.

"I'm stressed" she replied "I can't just go back to being your girlfriend again, I need time, if I decide to. I just need to be alone right now"

Elijah felt his heart crack. What was he even expecting? Her to jump back into his arms and them walk off into the sunset and be a happy couple.

"And, you don't live five years in a tiny town and not make friends and family that won't take she moved town as an answer without a word from me. It's complicated" Willow described "I'm not sure what to do"

Where is she you bastards?

"What the-" willow stood up after looking confusingly at Elijah.

"There's someone downstairs" he replied, opening the door quickly and running out; willow followed quickly behind, feeling the rush of adrenaline run through her veins, something she actually did miss.

"Get off me you criminal" a man was held in Klaus' strong grasp, another squeeze and his neck would have been snapped. This guy really didn't look like the type to start fights, he could barely even make a mark on Klaus.

"Who the bloody hell is this?" Klaus asked Elijah, it was so casual, it felt Klaus was about to sit down for afternoon tea.

"Stop!" Willow shouted, she was out of breath from running and being winded by recognising this man "don't hurt him, let him go"

"You know this man?" Klaus asked. Willow nodded and watched as the hybrid released the man, also releasing the breath Willow held. "Who is he?"

She walked forward, whispering to Elijah as she passed "you know I said it was all complicated?"

Willow stopped in front of the man. "Well, this is Brad" she introduced him, lifting her left hand and showing the diamond ring on her ring finger "he's my fiancé"

Lies - Marina and the Diamonds