12

It was around 6am when Elijah awoke, his head on the pile of work he had created last night. He didn't want to leave Willow so much that he even fell asleep on his chair, and slept through the night.

He silently slipped through the door and walked downstairs, it was far before anyone else woke up, the compound in the early hours of the morning was like a paradise, before everybody was struck with the nausea feeling of what was to come.

Eventually, they all came down one by one. Apart from Willow, she was fast asleep still.

"You came in late last night" Elijah tried to make out that he was awake to hear Christopher come in "re-lighting an old spark, I see?" He smirked, from the look on Christopher's face to Rebekah's strange glow.

He felt a slight flush of embarrassment, but he always had an answer to whatever Elijah had to say "looks like I wasn't the only one lighting a spark last night"

Elijah scowled. "What on earth are you talking about?" He asked quietly.

"When I come in and check on the girl I've helped raise, and she isn't there. I'm bound to check every single room, and there I saw you sleeping on the desk and her on the sofa" Christopher explained, he was being all smug about it. He did realise it was just friendliness, but he loved to see Elijah squirm. And yes Christopher would like to see his reaction and base his assumptions on that. "I never wanted her to date until she was a hundred, but out of all the guys there are, I'm pleased there's a chance it could be you"

"Don't jump to conclusions, Christopher. We were only talking" Elijah did indeed squirm, not knowing whether to fight back or let him believe what he wanted. "She was looking for you"

"Yes... in your study" he laughed in return.

"Alright" Rebekah had enough of watching Elijah from afar, she did think it was time to save him. "Who's got first shift of watching our little human poison bag?"

Christopher turned to Elijah. Elijah had already promised he'd help her out in the self defence area, but he didn't seem to want to put his hand up and volunteer with the way his protege was watching him.

"I will" Elijah volunteered quietly "I promised her I'd teach her some combat skills today; I can take the first watch"

"That's a surprise" he heard Christopher whisper to himself, he knew Elijah would hear it, and he earnt a rather deathly glare afterwards.

Just as they had all sorted it out. Elijah would be first, Klaus second, Rebekah third, Christopher fourth. Willow emerged from the top of the stairs, looking refreshed.

"You took your time coming in last night" she stomped down the stairs, a duffel bag over her shoulder and her hair tied back, looking ready to do some extraneous exercise. She walked right up to Christopher and scowled at him. "I'm sorry. For going off at you like that"

"Could this be?" Christopher faked a shocked face and began to mock her "the all mighty stubborn Willow apologises first? It can't be, someone pinch me I must be dreaming!"

Willow nudged him "stop it and taken my apology you dick" she seemed in a much better mood. Probably from getting an actual uninterrupted eight hour sleep, even if it was on the sofa instead.

"Alright!" Christopher raised his hands in surrender "I accept your apology, and in return I can offer you mine"

"There is no need for you to say sorry" Willow shrugged, putting her bag down on the floor ready to hug him.

"I snapped at you, I know you're fragile, I should have known better than to talk to you like that" Christopher had felt so bad for talking to Willow that way, it only made the situation worse. "And for that I am sorry"

Willow stood on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around Christopher's shoulders. "Apology accepted. Promise we'll never argue again"

"I promise" Christopher replied to her. She broke off and held up her little finger to him "Willow, I'm too old for pinky swears"

"You used to pinky swear when I was six, Christopher. You're never too old" she scolded, raising an eyebrow and not backing down.

"Fine" Christopher interlocked his little finger with hers and shook it gently "are you happy now?"

She nodded her head yes. "Thank you!"

"Now, I see you have already a day planned" Christopher observed her attire "Elijah has filled me in"

"Yeah, he was nice enough to me last night, he said he can help me in the strength area" Willow shrugged, watching Christopher dig into his pocket to retrieve a phone. "My phone!" She exclaimed "I thought I'd lost it"

"Now, I've deleted most things off it, like old friends, etc. Just to keep things simple. But it has everyone's numbers you need; mine, Elijah's, Rebekah's, Niklaus'. So if anything goes wrong, you can call any of us"

Willow scrolled through the numbers and familiarised herself with the new setup of her old phone. All contacts were on speed dial, they were all somewhat important to her.

"I mean it Willow, I know what you're like" he lectured "you're stubborn, you think you'll bother us, but please call me when you get there, and when you leave, and at any time of the day"

"Alright dad" she tapped the screen and watched as Christopher's phone lit up.

I'm just at the compound

He read the very sarcastic message sent by Willow. "You're very funny"

She shrugged with a smile on her face "I know"

Help Our Souls - Nihils