Chapter five.

"So tell me," Liam began after we had been at the waterfall for two hours, "what does studying with Miss Lou Shepard require?"

I laughed looking down at the grass. "It just requires you to show up."

"Is that it? There's gotta be more than that." Liam said, I could feel his eyes burn into me as I continued to look down. I didn't dare to look up or I would have laughed even more.

"There is," I finally looked up to meet his blue eyes, "but it's a surprise."

He shook his head and he smiled, showing his perfectly straight teeth. "A surprise? I don't think studying is much of a surprise, Lou."

"Oh, it will be." I said with a smile, complementing his, "what subjects do you struggle with the most?" I was trying to get to admit that he is struggling. That's why he ditches school, that's why his grades are so low.

"Struggle? Please, I don't struggle with anything. School is a piece of cake." I flinched as he said it because I knew he was lying and I knew that these struggles can be hard. "We better head off so we're on time when Xanthe gets home."

He got up and walked away as I sat there and contemplated what he said. After a few seconds, I followed him back down the trail and back to his car. It only felt like seconds since we got here and now school is nearly over and I've skipped for half the day. "This won't be happening everyday." I told him as he unlocked his car and we both slid in.

He turned to me, his sparkling eyes staring right into mine. "And you think I'm going to study with you everyday?"

I laughed and turned my head to the front. I felt him staring for a few seconds before turning the key into the ignition, making the car roar to life. I loved that sound. Before it takes you where you want to go, it's saying hello. Liam began to concentrate on reversing and then to drive smoothly back home. I could drive, back home. It was an amazing feeling. The wind blowing in my hair, singing along to music and yelling at people who didn't know how to drive.

It made him laugh, a lot.

My attention is snapped towards the radio as Liam just switched it on. It began to play heavy rock music, I wasn't a fan of the genre but Liam seemed to like it. At the corner of my eye, he was smiling and tapping his fingers on the steering wheel along with the music.

After about driving for about five minutes, my nerves and guilt began to set in. "What if the teachers asked me where I was? I don't know if I could lie to them." I said to Liam who just stopped at a stop sign.

He turned to me and shrugged. "It's easy, Lou. You look them in the eyes and say you were sick."

I gulped down the remaining salvia that lingered inside of my mouth. "But what if they ask me me more questions like where's your doctors certificate? I've only been in school three days and I'm already going against my morals!"

The light switched to green and Liam drove off again, we were nearly home and I was still freaking out. "They won't ask you, Lou. Stop stressing."

"That's easy for you to say!" I run my fingers through my hair, I knew it was a huge mistake ditching school. Xanthe told me to and I didn't listen to her. "You ditch all the time, you don't have that guilt."

Liam laughed like this was all one big joke, like he loved seeing me in such a huge panic. "Nah, I'm used to it. But, in time, you will too."

I shook my head just as we pulled into the driveway. The bus hadn't driven past yet, that I knew. "I don't know if I can do this again, Liam." I told him honestly. "I'm scared."

Liam switched the car off and unbuckled his seatbelt. "You've got one study date out of me. If you want it to continue, you have to keep ditching with me."

Going the Distance ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें