Chapter 17: Bottle It Up

😿

http://static.tumblr.com/944qxpc/NkAm1oei5/tumblr_lx4a7zdinq1r77c8do1_500.gif.

"Morning," I greeted Ric in a chipper tone as I walked into the kitchen.

"Thought we had aspirin" was his greeting.

"Yeah, in the vitamins. I may or may not have moved them when Jer started needing them" I shrugged at his questioning look at their new home, moving to make myself a coffee I noticed the half-empty bottle on the table. "You're hungover."

"Yeah, sorry about that. It was a bit of a weird night" he apologized.

"You say sorry a lot more than a regular person should, 'Lena back yet? I didn't check" I blew into my mug, trying to cool the liquid.

"Yeah, she got in a good hour before you, said the journey tired her out" and like that, it felt like the wind was knocked out of me, oh $*!t.

"What's that look?" I frowned as he looked at the bottle of whiskey in shame.

"I feel a little guilty for whiskey dialing Meredith at 2 in the AM" ouch, Ric.

"No, you didn't" I refused.

"Oh, yes, I did" he did a weird smile.

"Ooh. Was she cool about it?" I fought back the smile.

"Well, as soon as these aspirin kick in and I remember the conversation, I'll let you know" I chuckled at the reply, unable to keep the grin off my face. Before continuing with my drink the doorbell rang, I rolled my eyes as Ric acted like he didn't hear it. Placing my mug on the table I moved to open the door, why is Liz here?

"Sheriff Forbes," I frowned, "Is everything ok?" I heard Ric behind me, so now he hears the door?

"This is an unconventional conversation we're about to have so, I hope you'll protect me on it" she informed.

"Of course" Ric agreed and I nodded.

"I assume you both heard our medical examiner was murdered, the night of the wickery bridge fundraiser" she checked, well if we didn't before we do now.

"Yeah. Brian Walters. Why?" Ric rushed.

"We've been investigating. Someone drove this stake through his heart" I frowned at the scrap of wood in a bag, Ric took it from her grip and gave it a small inspection.

"It's one of ours" Liz nodded to Ric's words. "I mean, this is one of a set from your parents' lake house."

"That's why I'm here. I haven't told anyone, but forensics ran it for prints and found only one clean set" I waited for who. "Yours" Liz looked at me.

"What?" I frowned.

-TIME SKIP-

"So you're the prime suspect, huh?" thanks, Damon(!)

"She doesn't think that I did it. She's just trying to find out why somebody used one of my family's weapons to kill a council member" I explained.

"Well, why don't you just ask Ric if his dirty little doctor had access to the weapons" I rolled my eyes at Damon's response.

"You're on speaker phone, d!*k" Ric glared at the small device.

"I'm just saying; first suspect is usually the right one. Don't get so defensive" Damon muttered.

"Brian Walters was killed days ago, all right? I didn't show Meredith this stuff until last night" Ric defended.

"It wasn't Meredith" I agreed.