Chapter 11: Do I Really Want To Do This Again?

😿

http://31.media.tumblr.com/50c8079ce6344891b37e4d30a4ce9e4f/tumblr_mk2lkcCPzR1rc3z3ro1_1280.gif.

"Kat, you could try and pay attention" Elena complained.

"It's not my fault that my chipped nail varnish is more interesting than this plan" I shrugged.

"You haven't even heard me out" she glared at me.

"That's because I read your mind the second you pulled his journal from your bag, I've already thought about it and it's a waste of time" I retorted before taking a bite from my muffin.

"I hate you" she crossed her arms over her chest with a huff.

I cocked an eyebrow at her "Seriously?"

"No" she muttered, a response that pulled a smirk onto my lips.

"You guys are ridiculous" Alaric shook his head with a laugh.

"I'd get used to it as soon as possible Ric, it's never gonna change" Jeremy warned.

"Moving on..." Elena took a breath to recompose herself and move past the mini argument. "Jer, I need you to help me with something."

"What's up?" he looked at her.

"I've been going through Stefan's old journals" she motioned to the tattered book on the table "Every single time that he's gone off the rails in the past, his best friend Lexi's been the one to bring him back."

"Not gonna work" I sang only to receive a kick to my right shin, I glared at Elena and slightly rubbed the hurt skin.

"So where is she now that we need her?" Ric asked the logical question.

"She's dead" Jer remembered, guess he got the same run down as me of what happened since 'Lena learned of the Salvatore's vampy existence. "And you want me to try and reach her, don't you?"

"I thought if I knew how she did it, maybe I could help him" I rolled my eyes at the hope.

"I don't even know if she's on the 'other side'." the hell is that Jer?

"Is that what it's called?" Elena frowned.

"That's what Anna calls it. There's not like an official brochure or anything" Jer joked.

"So what is it, like some sort of supernatural purgatory?" Ric is on the ball today.

"Well, Anna said it's like being here with all of us, only we can't see her or hear her. And she can't interact with anyone. She's all alone" he glanced at the empty chair and I frowned, is ghosty with us.

"Vicki could interact. She blew up my car" Ric sounds weird when he talks in his sarcastic, p!$$ed off tone.

"Vicki had help from a witch on the 'other side'. Anna...she's doing this all by herself" someone doesn't sound over their dead ex.

"I'm just saying, maybe we learned our lesson about summoning dead people" Elena looked at Ric with that comment and he sent her a small, sad smile.

"Do you think it's even possible to contact Lexi?" Elena pushed, ignoring Ric's not so subtle warning.

"I don't know" Jer admitted. "I didn't have an emotional connection with her. I never even met her."

"Can we just drop it, please?" Ric's 'good guy' act finally caved.

"No, I can't drop it, Ric. I don't know what else to do" Elena argued.

"Don't you think we have a few too many dead vampires in our past to be sitting here thinking of them watching us?" as Ric finished I felt a stab in my heart. Jenna, Isobel...he doesn't want them to see him spiraling, slowly passing through life just...existing, barely living, barely holding it together...