What Are You Thankful For, Mr Novak?

all aboard the feels express oops

major spoilers for end of season 11 and season 12
-----

"Gabriel, what are you thankful for?" Castiel asked, stuffing his face with turkey, despite only being able to taste a small amount of it. The other people at dinner turned to Gabriel, seeing as he was the only one to not state what he was thankful for.

"Why would I have anything to be thankful for?"

All 4 of the other forks dropped in response.

"You're not thankful for anything at all?" Sam asked, twisting his hand so the light catching his engagement ring shot into Gabriel's eye.

"Im a fugitive in Heaven."

"But you have a fiancé."

"And a wonderful future mother-in-law" Mary shot back, smiling. Dean smiled at her, and everyone would say that it was the exact same smile.

"And a brother that hasn't turned you in to Heaven." Castiel commented, face still stuffed with food.

"You wanna take it a little slower?" Dean muttered to Cas.

"No."

"Are you really not thankful for anything?" Sam asked, saddened by his fiancè.

Gabriel stayed silent, only the scratching of his chair filling the air as he got up from the table. He turned a corner in the bunker and zapped out.

-----

Gabriel walked down Fifth Avenue, trembling hands in his pockets. He had never actually been here, despite being on Earth for so long. It had began to snow too, which made the wreaths on the lampposts and the Christmas advertisements in the windows seem very fitting, despite it only being November. The cars sloshed through what had been turned into slush on the streets due to the tires, the wet sounds the only thing filling Gabriel's mind.

He continued to trudge past, head down, eyes trained at his feet crunching into the soft snow. He turned a corner, and in the distance he heard bells ringing, and a small child asking for donations to the local food banks in time for Thanksgiving dinner.

"Excuse me sir!" The child shouted at Gabriel. He froze and looked up at the kid, giving him a small smile before continuing. The kid shouted after him "Novak! What are you thankful for?"

Gabriel froze again, and turned back to look at the kid. He had on really nice clothes, which contradicted the chipped tooth in his crooked grin and  his desire to collect for food banks. His brunette hair was shaved close, and he had grey hair, despite being probably 9. He also had on a really weird looking red hat, which looked like it hadn't been from his time period.

"What am I thankful for?"

"Yeah, what are ya thankful for Mr. Novak?"

Gabriel paused his thinking to look at the kid, eyes wide. "How do you know my name?"

"Your jacket." The child simply stated. Gabriel remembered he was wearing the letterman-style jacket he made for all the angels. He was the only one who wore them. All the angels disintegrated theirs when they saw them. Only Castiel and Balthazar kept theirs.

Gabriel shook off the thought and continued. "Im thankful for my little brothers."

"I have 2 brothers! One's older than me, and the other one is younger than me. I have a sister too, but she can't really talk."

Gabriel laughed, admiring the vigour the kid had in contrast to himself. "I have a lot of younger brothers and sisters, but not a lot of them like me anymore."

"Im sure they do! Family loves eachother!"

Gabriel smiled, melancholy being the main force behind it. "I guess some of them do."

"Are you thankful for your house? Mine is really big!" He said, gesturing wildly with his small hands.

"I dont really have-" And Gabriel froze.

"You dont have a house?" The kid asked, but Gabriel tuned it out.

How could he have been so stupid?

"I'm your home"

This whole walk was a way for Gabriel to get in the spirit of thanksgiving, to clear his head and to find out what he was thankful for. And here, the entire damn ordeal was pointless.

"I'm your home"

The same quote swam around his head, and it was true.

"Thanks kid." Gabriel made a $10 appear in his pocket. He took it out and flicked it in the bucket.

"Thanks you Mr. Novak!" The kid screamed as Gabriel turned the corner into an alley. He made a pecan pie appear in his outstretched hand, the scent and steam wafting up to his nostrils as he zapped home.

-----

Happy Thanksgiving to my US readers. this is really short and really late im sorry

-rem ☆