Humans Chapter 6.2

The candle is swaying its fire in accordance to the wind, with the day that is as dark as the night. The two of us are being quiet for a while, with neither of us wanted to talk. She is still watching the fire as it sways from the candle's wick, while I try to talk to her. Its purpose was to break this silence, and bring back her mood.

"Sorry." She said while she scratches her face , with a gentle finger. She answered first. I'm surprised that she apologized to me.

"I'm also---" I've wanted to apologize to her too, but she interrupted me. She interrupted me by a punch, a slow yet soft punch to the chest. Her arm never moved after that, but I don't have any clue why it is so.

"Why did you leave?" Kita said in a soft voice.

"Well I---." I tried to explain it through a lie, but...

"You don't trust us?" She cuts me off as she said that. She asks me as she looks down at a snail's pace.

"I, I... I don't." I told the truth to her, although my mouth struggled to say it. I really don't trust her, but I don't know why I've told her that. Maybe, because she is a Levian, a slaver, or I didn't know her well enough.

"I see..." Kita said in a monotone reply. She didn't move and goes silent for a little while.

"Here." She speaks, but her arm... the arm she punched, slowly moved. She turned her arm around and opens her palm. On it, there is something metallic. I have taken a closer look at it as it shines, and reminds me of my homeland. The metallic thing is circular and surely it is a coin. No, it is not. It's more than a coin...

"It can't be..." I murmured and lean closer, but Kita moved a step away with her palm closing up, she thought I'll take it away. I paused, breathing with caution. She then, finger by finger, opens her palm again, but moving it a bit close to where the lamp shines it well.

"Is it? It is..." I murmured again but with slight certainty. It's not a coin, It's a token, a token of Devotia.

"A token of Devotia..." I said in surprise and backed away. My eyes are going to and fro to what I am going to say.

"Where-" I wanted to ask her but her eyes are getting serious, she gestured for silence and hides it away.

"I'll show you where I found it but don't stray off, okay?" Kita said in earnest. I nod to her in agreement and took hold of the lantern. She and I entered into the moment of silence once again, I... I no longer feel any sign of danger from her. Almost.

I didn't move, but she does with a quick turn and goes forward. With a few steps, she stopped and turned back to me.

She breathed in, then out and tell me this: "Hey, you're moving with me or not?" She then smiled.

Her voice, face and gesture... She asked me like a friend and not a slave, it's weird because we've only talked in almost hostility some candles ago!

"Well, you first." I told her and give her way.

"Ok..." She said in a calm manner and walked ahead, with me behind her. We've started to walk again as if nothing had happened in the empty street. Yet, her movement is as quick as if she walked in daylight!

"How is it?" Kita asks out of nowhere as we've continued to walk.

"How's what?" I asked, in a curious manner, as I don't know what she talks about, Could it be that fight from that man? It's also strange though, like how can she be able to move like it was day? Even that man see into the dark. Strange but what-

Kita yanked my cuffed arms. She made me broke my line of thought. However, it also made me flinch.

"Hey..." I looked at her as she called me. She waved her hand. And yet, her face is about to laugh but she holds it in.