2

I walk down the halls to lunch. Which was filled with hormonal teenagers. I push my way through the crowd till I find Riley. " Hey Riley. " I say, she was talking to her friend Jacky.

She says bye to her friend and walks over to me. " Hey Lilia, heading to lunch? " She asks. Her brown hair swaying every now and then. " Yeah, you coming? "

" Of course. Now lets go. I'm really hungry " She chuckles and we make our way to the cafeteria.

We find our friends and we take a seat.

" Did you hear that Jessica was already suspended for having sex with the janitor? " Ashley says. " It's the first day of school. " Kyle says. " People just can't keep it in their pants. " Dylan says.

" Haven't you two have sex in the science lab? " Nick says.

Dylan only chuckles. " Sophomore year was crazy. " Ashley keeps quiet.

" Hey don't expose Riley to that stuff, she may be tempted. " I warn playfully. Riley only rolls her eyes.

" Calm down mother. Plus I have these boys to look out for me right? "

" Yep "

" Absolutely "

" If any little prick lays a finger on you, I will personally take them through hell and back. "

That last one came out of Nick's mouth. We all just gaped at what came out of his mouth.

" I'm being a good friend. " Nick said. We all just laugh.

We talk a bit more when the door burst open. In comes in Nathan. The room falls silent.

He walks over to his table of friends, well, their was only 3. Tyler, Damon and Chase. All have the same bad boy vibe, just not as dark as Nathan's.

" You guys heard what happened to the last person who tried to mess with him? " Kyle whispers. The cafeteria was silent. So we really couldn't say anything out loud. " No " Curiosity got the best of me. I couldn't help it. Something about him just pulled me in.

" Apparently someone ended up in the hospital and was in a coma for three weeks. " Nick hisses. " Ouch. That kid sure got a beating. "

" He doesn't just go around doing that right? " Riley asks worried. I shake my head. " No, no need to worry. " I assure her. She didn't seem convinced.

" Oh! By the way...look what I got! " Ashley says holding up six cheap looking tickets.

" Are those tickets? To a fight? " I ask. Like I said, they looked cheap. Dirt cheap, this seems really sketchy.

" Yeah " Ashley says. " Explain more please. " I ask she sighs. " Ok, so every Friday, there is a fight between two people. Anyone who wants to put in bets, puts it in a box. And the money is going to the fighter who wins, they basically loose money to watch guys punch each other. Well anyways, who ever wins, gets to keep what ever they make. But it's not like $50 or $100. We are talking thousands of dollars that are on the line. And the people who fight in the ring, have been working at this for years. It's crazy shit. "

I try to process what just came out of her mouth. A fight? Involving real people getting hurt? Blood? Broken bones?

That is not my place to be.

I can't stand the smell of blood. Let alone the sight of blood pouring out of a innocent human being. I always wanted to be a nurse. But ever sense that year. I turned my career choices into law. Like lawyers. Trouble is never on my side. I can't risk me or Riley getting hurt. No, not again.