Eleven.

Reina

I sat at the table stunned when Rose ran off to her room. I don't see how I could've missed all the signs. The confused look she holds on her face when she looks at menus or books. Or how she zones out a lot.

"Family!" Demitri shouted when he walked through the front door.

He noticed the unamused look on my face and set aside his playfulness.

"What's wrong?" He pulled out a chair and sat next to me.

"Rose has dyslexia." I sighed.

Demitri sat back in his chair and sighed, "I'm sorry."

"What are you apologizing for?" I asked.

"Because it's my f-"

"No it's not. You have no control over a hereditary problem. Don't blame yourself." I told him. "Rose!"

I heard the sound of her footsteps from upstairs come out of her room. She came downstairs, red in the face, and sat in my lap like she always does.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I ran my fingers through her hair.

"Because it's embarrassing. I'm an idiot." She mumbled.

"Look at me, Rosaline." Demitri said sternly.

She slightly sighed and faced him.

"Don't let me ever hear you call yourself that again. You're a smart child and all this is is an obstacle that me and your mom are going to help you get over."

"But I can't read." She had a slight attitude.

"Can't is a word of defeat and us Carters are undefeated. You can read, you just have trouble reading. Daddy has dyslexia too and I used to let it upset me, but that's not going to fix anything. Getting help is the only way." He told her.

"You promise?" She looked up at him with hopeful eyes.

"I promise. And don't ever be embarrassed or afraid to tell me and your mom anything."

"I won't."

"I got it!" Hunter zoomed down the stairs and opened the door right when someone ringed the doorbell.

It was a girl waiting with a smile on her face. Rose got up and walked back upstairs.

 Rose got up and walked back upstairs

"Hold on." He held up his index finger to her and walked into the kitchen. "Ma, can I go out for a few hours with Desiree?"

I peeped around the corner at the girl who was standing there on her phone.

"No."