17 - Meet the Parents

Start from the beginning

Alison on the other hand, quite loved being around Emily's parents and found herself quickly enjoying their company. Unlike her own parents, Pam and Wayne were more down to earth, more relaxed, less... untouchable.

They began eating and chatting lightheartedly, doing their best to do exactly as Pam had anticipated - getting to know each other better and finding their own place in this, admittedly, unusual situation. Ken and Wayne were discussing sports and Wayne's time in the army while Jessica and Pam were talking about a new Italian restaurant that had just opened in Philadelphia.

Alison used the opportunity to turn to Emily, "Em?"

Emily's eyes lifted to hers and she smiled. "Yeah?"

Alison looked away for a moment before meeting Emily's eyes once more in an earnest gaze. "Was it weird having Noel with us today? Be honest," she asked apprehensively.

"No, not at all actually. He was really nice. You were right, he's more than the jerk people think he is." Emily reassured her, making Alison grin brightly. Alison was so proud of Noel for coming around, and proud of her friends and her girlfriend for giving him a chance.

"So, girls, are you two excited about your trip?" Wayne asked, causing both girls to break their gaze and turn back to the table. Emily and Alison had both told their parents about the trip to Paris a mere few days ago, and it seemed to Emily that their parents were more excited than they were, which she didn't think was even possible.

Pam was, in all honesty, a bit more than apprehensive about the whole thing when Emily first presented the idea, but with Wayne's assures that it would be a great adventure for their daughter, and Emily's promises that she would give her regular updates and that she would have all of her friends with her to watch out for her, the woman ended up agreeing. Emily's enthusiastic babbling when she'd told her parents about the plans she and her friends had made for the Europian city was ultimately the thing that got Pam to accept, though.

"Of course. Paris is a place we've always wanted to go to. Right, Em?" Alison directed the question at the brunette as she gave Emily's hand a squeeze under the table.

"Yeah, we're all really excited," Emily answered with a sweet smile, her mind already fantasizing about the whole thing.

They all continued eating in comfortable silence, discussing some more things here and there. When they were finished, everyone thanked Pam for her delicious foods and welcoming hospitality. They stayed around the table for a while, still talking and even laughing, and everything seemed to pass smoothly, like it was meant to be. Emily was very glad to have had this night in order to, in a way, clear the air with both of their families in regards to the two girls' relationship.

"I have to admit you two look absolutely delightful. Mind if I take your picture?" Jessica asked animatedly as she pulled out her phone.

"Mom!" Alison whined and looked at her mother with a pleading gaze.

Emily laughed shyly and turned at Jessica. "Sure," she answered willingly.

Emily got up for the sake of the picture, walked behind Alison, and placed her chin atop of the blonde's shoulder as she bent down. Emily couldn't help but place a small kiss on Alison's blushing cheek, whispered in her ear, "I love you."

Alison grinned from ear to ear at that and they both smiled pleasantly as Jessica took the picture. "Mom, send me that picture," the blonde requested and Jessica nodded.

They moved to the living room after clearing their plates, and decided to end the night with a movie since it wasn't too late and the girls had no school due to summer vacation. Emily picked out a movie since no one else volunteered to do it and Wayne popped the disc inside the DVD player.