Chapter 22

(Continuation of Chapter 21)

Marco and his men rode in silence to the waterfront warehouse on the pier, each man contemplating what the scene might look like as they each checked their weapons and made sure their Kevlar vests were on and their minds were clear and focused.

He tried to get the look on Cay's face out of his head but he loved the fact that she didn't fall apart in front of him or their son, not saying she didn't do it behind closed doors but she was put together enough to remain calm and obey his wishes on getting them home as soon as possible.

Sighing heavily, he knew this was going to be a long night and that much he dreaded but this was all apart of being the head of an important family and organization, when someone messes with one, they mess with all and the Holy Mary help them when they were found out.

Justice would be met with swift wings and anyone else that would oppose or try to assert their authority where it wasn't asked for or wanted, would be dealt with in the same manner, painfully.

Don Gregorio Fabrizio met them with his second-in-command, Dante Tucci and they starting filling in Marco on what had happened.

"Marco, my friend" Fabrizio said as the two men shook hands. "Gregorio, what's going on? The last I was told, everything was in order and all was as it should be." Marco asked.

"Someone is not happy with you Marco. Now I know that you have certain cops in your pocket, one of which is Detective Ryland and he is waiting for you in your office." Marco nodded and asked for Andre to come with him, while his other men stayed back and helped Gregorio get everything back on track.

"Don DeLuca" the detective said respectfully as he stood up to greet Marco. DeLuca shook the man's hand and asked him if he wanted anything to drink.

"I'm still on duty, but thank you. Now, I have all under control but you seriously need to watch out for Braeden Whitford. That man has a serious hard on for you.

Luckily, the 'anonymous' tip came in to one of the guys that I trust completely and he called me immediately, I hand picked the men to come with me and we checked it out.

Of course I will say that nothing was found to be amiss and the recording from the TIP hotline was compromised and had to be destroyed, so that takes care of that.

Just to keep the peace in our part of the world, I have eyes on Whitford and any known associates, so anything he does that looks like it's gonna come back on you, you will know about it first."

Marco pulled an envelope out of his jacket pocket and slid it over across the desk to the detective. "Marco you don't have to pay me for this, not this time" Ryland said.

Marco shook his head. "You earned this Ernie, just pay your guy with it or do whatever you want but you know I take care of those loyal, so please."

The detective stood up and offered his hand to DeLuca and then was on his way to do the paperwork and get rid of anything else that might show up regarding the incident in question.

Once all law enforcement had vacated the premises, Marco called an emergency meeting to inform the other members of what Detective Ryland had discovered and told him.

"Gentlemen, can anyone tell me anything new about Braeden Whitford?" He asked. The men looked at each other and then back to Marco.

"Precisely. He's a wanna be wise guy who doesn't realize who he's messing with and we gotta reel this in and now. Thankfully the detective that was just here has a recording of the fake tip and has given it to me.

Carmine is gonna listen to it, clean it up and see if he can get our voice recognition software to identify the voice on there and then we can proceed from there.

The rest of you, let's get everything back together, get all the merch ready, and after all is said and done, we'll be ready for tomorrow night. Lock up and then everyone go home to your families."

Marco and his team were the last to leave and as soon as they walked out, gunfire erupted, sending the men flying for cover.

"Dre!  Can you see where it's coming from?" Marco yelled.  "I count at least three shooters!" Dre shouted back.  "Lay down cover fire and I'll take out the one on your left!" Marco shouted.

Just as Marco started charging where the first gunman was hold up, Dre laid down cover fire but Marco was hit in the shoulder and side as he took out the man.

"Boss!" Dre shouted frantically at his friend but he didn't get an answer.  "Vit!  Can you see Marco?" Dre screamed.  "Yeah, he's down!  We gotta get to him now!" Vittorio yelled.

Vit, Umberto and Dre took out the other two gunmen while Carmine ran to check on Marco's status and when he made it, it was not good.

Taking his phone from his pocket, he called their physician, Dr. Able, telling him the situation, he directed him to bring him to the other warehouse further into the city.

"Guys lets go!  Doc's waitin!"  Dre had called their 'clean up' crew to dispose of the bodies but not before finding out who they were and who sent them.

"Come on, Marco!  You gotta stay awake!" Dre said to Marco, shaking him to keep him conscious, but he was losing a lot of blood and fast.

Dre cursed as he watched the seeping blood color Marco's white dress shirt.  Lifting it up, he assessed the wound and found it to be a flesh wound but the one on his shoulder was a through-in-through.

"Vit, hand me something I can use to put pressure on his shoulder" Dre said.  Vittorio dug into his gym bag and dragged out a white towel and handed it to Dre.

Umberto drove them like a bat out of hell and when they finally made it to the warehouse, Dr. Abel was waiting on them with two assistants and it didn't take them long to get Marco in there and working on him.

Dre looked at Carmine and said "I gotta call Cay."