The Gravity of the Situation

After the initial chaos of being assualted by random alien robot drones, Ben and Mikoto decided that it would be best if they didn't stay in their hospital clothing since it would make them more noticeable. (And they suspected that the hospital would have put a missing patients news feed on the Academy City emergency notices by now). So they picked the nearest clothing store and looked for clothes to change into while Accelerator waited outside. Since they weren't anywhere near any of the shopping districts, the clothing store wasn't that large nor did it have a wide selection. In fact they didn't even have seperate changing rooms for males and females (much to Mikoto's chagrin.) But Ben was able to find a black jacket he liked with a white t shirt that had a black number 10 on it along with a pair of blue jeans, while Mikoto by some strange miracle found a black shirt with a green Gekota frog face design and some blue shorts that fit perfectly. Now Ben and Mikoto held their new purchases and stood in front of the changing room.

"If they have seperate stalls we go in together." said Mikoto trying to asses the quickest in and out method. "If not, then we take turns and change like our lives depend upon it, deal?"

Ben nodded. No use waiting around until their guards and the hospital came around looking for them. "Lets do this."

Ben opened the door of the changing room to find that the it indeed had separate changing stalls, and thankfully, they had closed bottoms which pretty much took away the possibility of accidental peeking. (However that didn't take away the awkward feeling of the whole thing.)

Ben and Mikoto both went into a stall next to each other as quick as lightning and began changing their clothes. Through out the entire process Ben could not shake the feeling that he was forgetting to consult Mikoto about something, then he remembered. The clones.

It was possible that in this fight against Vilgax that any one of them might die, this meant that if their was any time to ask about  this possibly very personal secret of Mikoto.......but should he? Ben took a deep breath and made up his mind.

"Hey Mikoto."

"Yeah?" came a voice from the next stall over.

"The day before yesterday....I might have run into someone interesting."

"Yeah, that esper." Said Mikoto. "You told me about HeartBreaker back at the hospital."

"Actually I met someone else too....... more like several someones."

"Huh?"

"Actually, I met four of your.........Sisters."

Mikoto went silent. Ben could almost feel her brain running as if she herself was trying to figure out the right thing to say. But Ben required no explanation, he only needed Mikoto to know that he knew as well.

"Mikoto, I know about the Radio Noise Project. You dont have to expla-"

"Touma told you.......didn't he?" Mikoto said quietly. "Don't worry about it......I guess I should have told you a long time ago....."

Ben flashed back to the explanation that Touma had given him the previous day. One day when Mikoto was just a little girl, a scientist had requested Mikoto's DNA map in order to use her esper power as a possible way to cure a muscular disease. But they had lied, what they had done instead was a project intended to mass produce level 5s like Mikoto instead just developing them the normal way in Academy City. The clones however, had only been able to reach level 2 or 3. The project was then declared a failure........but the cloning wasn't stopped. Instead, a different project started, one that centered around the most powerful level 5 Accelerator.......The attempt to create a level 6.

It was predicted that if Accelerator were to kill the lesser Railgun copies a total of 20,000 times, then they would be able to raise Accelerator up to the fabled level 6. In order to make sure it would happen this way, the clones were given a specific brainwave network which they could connect to using their electro powers, therefore each clone would learn from a previous clone's death and the battles would increase in difficulty. Mikoto had learned of this cruel slaughtering of her 20,000 "sisters" and attempted to stop the project by destroying lab after lab. However, each attempt to stop the project had failed. That is until Touma had come up with a solution: If a lowly level 0 like him were able to take out Accelerator in a fight, then the scientists would be forced to stop the project because it would prove all their calculations were wrong. And since Academy City's greatest super computer Tree Diagram had been destroyed, that meant they would be unable to calculate a new experiment. The clones would be saved.