Vacation from Fame

On a beach in a town not far from Academy City, a brown haired 16 year old boy in black swimming trunks was sleeping soundly under an umbrella. This boy of all people looked completely ordinary in all respects. That is...unless you counted the unnatural green watch like device on his left wrist. The curious device known as the Omnitrix currently lay inactive on its master's wrist. However, by merely squeezing the ring around the face plate, turning the dial to what you wanted, then pressing the face plate down, you could turn into any alien life form whose DNA map dwelled within its vast data banks. The wearer of the Omnitrix, Ben Tennyson, was currently suffering from overwork on vacation. After the events of several months ago, somehow the entire world had learned of Ben and the Omnitrix. No one knew who had uploaded the videos of Ben's transformations. All Ben knew was that he was now a celebrity, something that seriously annoyed him. It wasn't the kind of fame that was associated with superheroes. More like an 'oh my gosh this is another major scientific breakthrough thanks to Academy City' kind of fame. In other words, the board of directors who ran Academy City had turned him into their mascot. Ben had actually walked around one of the toy stores in the city's underground mall to find stuffed animal versions of his aliens on display in the window. The giant blimps with humungous big screens now showed advertisements of Humungousaur with the logo below that said 'LARGER THEN LIFE, STUDY MORE IN ACADEMY CITY.' Ben was a little creeped out by how many advertisements the board of directors had been able to come up with in so little time. Eventually, Ben started receiving hundreds of letters in the mail with requests from labs to let them study everything, from his alien forms, to attempts to take the Omnitrix apart and see how it worked. And after the crowds of reporters started following him everywhere, Ben finally snapped and used Big Chill to phase through the floor in the middle of one of his classes. Something that, in his teacher's opinion, caused unnecessary attention in what was once an orderly class. So Ben's friend and roommate Misaka Mikoto suggested that Ben take a temporary one week vacation. So after some hacking of the Academy City computer records by another friend named Kazari. Ben, Mikoto, and another friend named Kuroko, were able to secure passes to leave Academy City for a week. However, they weren't able to pass by the board of directors completely unnoticed. Somehow, the board learned of Ben's attempt at some down time. They made it so that Ben had to go to a special vacation spot at least within a certain limit of Academy City. And they designated Ben 'special homework' which was a giant stack of paper 3 feet high asking highly specific questions on every one of Ben's transformations. So here Ben was sleeping after spending the first night of his vacation breaking his brain on a stupid alien biological survey. Next to Ben sat a 14 year old girl (soon to turn 15) with sandy medium short length hair in a black one piece bathing suit. Misaka Mikoto stared down at Ben with a frown on her face.

"Really," Mikoto muttered. "When is anyone ever going to give him a break?"

Ben suddenly shifted and muttered something about not knowing the exact structure of DiamondHead's* cells.

Mikoto moaned. "Great, now he's doing 'homework' in his sleep, if doesn't just relax he's going to explode worse then Atomix* in a nuclear generator."

The red haired Shirai Kuroko ran over to the two of them wearing a similar bathing suit that was red.

"He does know he could just ignore those surveys right?" Kuroko said looking down at Ben as he slept. "It's not like the board can alter his grades just because he won't answer questions that have nothing to do with his course subjects."

Mikoto sighed. Knowing the board of directors, they probably would and could do that. While Academy City was indeed a beautiful learning center, no one had even scratched the surface on its ugly side.

Kuroko started nudging Ben with her foot. "I'm not standing for this! If he's gonna spend his vacation working, then he should at least enjoy himself a little before the week ends! He's going start vacationing whether he likes it or not!"