Chapter 68

We used everything that we could to make weapons. While we did we all talked about what happened before we got here. Daryl told Maggie about losing Beth and I debated on telling him about Andrew. If anyone would understand my pain, it'd be Daryl. When he was finished reassuring Maggie that Beth was still alive I sat down next to him.

"I stayed on my own for about a day. I tried to find you, I tried so damn hard. I was trying to track you one last time before I gave up when I heard a scream. A woman and her son were surrounded by walkers. I saved them but it was too late for the mom, she'd been bitten. I took the kid, I got to know him really well. He kinda reminded me of you. That night a walker wandered into our camp and the boy, Andrew took off. He ran right off of a cliff. I promised his mom I'd protect him and I failed." I told Daryl, trying to hold all of my emotions back. I left out the liquor store and hallucinating because I didn't want him to be ashamed of me or think I'm crazy.

"Christ, Jess. None of that was your fault." Daryl replied.

"But I could have-" I was cut off mid sentence by Daryl.

"No. The boy was scared. There's nothing you could have done. I went over that scenario over and over again with Sophia. I know you and I know you did everything you could to save that boy." Daryl said as he patted my shoulder.

I wanted to argue, but I didn't. Instead I just nodded. When Daryl stood up he went over to the door to keep watch. I glanced over at Abraham, the buff redhead. I haven't spent very much time with him, but he reminds me of Merle. He looked up and stared back at me.

"You got something to say to me, sister?" Abraham asked.

I had to resist the urge to chuckle. "No, you just remind me of someone I used to know. You're a little more restrained than he was. And not quite as attractive." I answered.

"If he was better looking than me, he'd be one handsome son of a bitch." Abraham said.

I did chuckle that time. "Oh he was. Emphasis on son of a bitch though."

"All right, got four of them pricks coming our way." Daryl said from the door.

"Ya'll know what to do. Go for their eyes first. Then their throats." Rick told us.

I had ripped the buckle off of my belt. I slipped the buckle over my hand, points facing out, and held the belt in my other hand. One good slap across the face with the belt would definitely hurt.

We all gathered around the door and waited, makeshift weapons at the ready.

"Put your back against the wall on either end of the car, now!" One of the men outside shouted.

We stayed where we were, until part of the roof opened up and a canister of tear gas fell through and began to smoke.

"Move!" Abraham shouted.

I was way ahead of him. We all ran to the other side as the door slid open. At least two men came in and grabbed some people, then shut the door back. I couldn't see who had been taken until the smoke cleared, then I wanted to scream. Daryl, Rick, Glenn, and Bob were all gone.

I clenched my fist and punched the wall of the train car. I've lost Daryl again. The sound of gunshots made me freeze. What's going on. Everyone still in the car went to the gaps to look out. An earth shaking explosion that knocked me off of my feet followed the shots. Everyone was knocked on their asses by the blast. Abraham got up quickly and helped some of us up.

"What the hell is going on?!" Abraham yelled in frustration, banging on the door of the train car.

"Someone hit them." Michonne answered.