Chapter 27

After a few moments I took some deep breaths and bit down hard on my lip. I was finally able to stop crying. I wiped my face and stood up. Daryl was getting angrier by the minute. He spun around and pointed his crossbow in T-Dog's face. Just as quickly as he did Rick had his gun cocked and pointed at Daryl's head. This day just gets better and better.

"I won't hesitate. I don't care if every walker in this city hears it." Rick said in a serious tone.

A few seconds later Daryl lowered his crossbow. I let out a breath that I didn't even realize I was holding. If he had shot Daryl, I would have drop kicked him off of the rooftop. I don't give a shit how nice he says he is.

Rick uncocked and lowered his gun. Daryl looked at T-Dog and took a deep breath.

"You got a do-rag or something?"

T-Dog pulled a bandana out of his pocket and handed it to Daryl. Daryl picked up Merle's hand and put it in the bandanna.

"I guess the saw blade was too dull for the handcuffs. Ain't that a bitch."

Daryl wrapped the hand up in the bandanna carefully and put it in Glenn's backpack.

"He must've used a tourniquet, probably his belt. Be much more blood if he didn't."

Daryl followed the trail of blood and we all walked after him. The blood trail led to another building. Daryl shouted for Merle but didn't get a response. I started mentally preparing myself for the sight of Merle's dead body. As much as I hoped he made it somewhere safe I had to account for all possibilities.

We killed the zombies in this building as we creeped through. Two walkers were already dead in a reception looking room. Merle managed to take them out while gushing blood.

"Had enough in him to take out these two sumbitches. One handed. Toughest asshole I ever met, my brother. Feed him a hammer he'd crap out nails." Daryl said with pride.

"Any man can pass out from blood loss, no matter how tough he is." Rick said raising his gun and proceeding.

We crept into the next room and Daryl shouted for Merle again.

"We're not alone here. Remember?" Rick said in a low voice.

"Screw that. He could be bleeding out. You said so yourself." Daryl retorted.

Around the corner was a gas stove that was still on. The smell of burning meat was in the air. I didn't need to get any closer to know that Merle had cauterized the stump where his hand used to be. Blood was all over the stove and Merle's belt was lying on the top of it. I took a deep breath thankful that we didn't find his body in here.

Rick picked up a cast iron cooking tool with burnt flesh on it. Glenn's face screwed up in confusion.

"What's that burned stuff?"

"Skin. He cauterized the stump." Rick replied. Glenn looked ready to throw up.

"Told you he was tough. Nobody can kill Merle but Merle. Just ask Jess, she's tried." Daryl said

I glared at him. This was not the time.

"Don't take that on faith. He's lost a lot of blood."

"Yeah. Didn't stop him from breaking out of this death trap." Daryl said walking to the window on the far wall.

The window paine was busted and there was a bloody towel on the floor. Glenn looked shocked again.

"He left the building? Why would he do that?"

"Why wouldn't he? He's out there alone as far as he knows. Doing what he's gotta do. Surviving." Daryl replied.

T-Dog spoke for the first time since we left the box truck.

"You call that surviving? Just wandering out in the streets maybe passing out? What are his odds out there?"

"No worse than being handcuffed and left by you sorry pricks." Daryl turned to face Rick. "You couldn't kill him. Ain't so worried about some dumb dead bastard."

"What about 1,000 dumb dead bastards? Different story?"

"Why don't you take a tally? Do what you want. Me and Jess are gonna go get him."

Rick put his hand on Daryl's chest and pushed him backwards.

"Daryl, wait."

"Get your hands off me! You can't stop me!"

"I don't blame you. He's family I get that. I went through hell to find mine. I know exactly how you feel. He can't get far with that injury. We could help you check a few blocks around but only if we keep a level head."

I put my hand on Daryl's shoulder and stepped forward.

"We can do that." I raised my eyebrows at Daryl and he nodded.

"Only if we get those guns first. I'm not strolling the streets of Atlanta with just my good intentions, okay?"

I nodded. I wouldn't have done that even before the outbreak.

Glenn had just suggested going out to get the bag of guns by himself. Everyone in the room except for Glenn let out a sigh.

"You're not going out alone." Rick said firmly.

"Even I think it's a bad idea and I don't even like you that much." Daryl chimed in.

"It's a good idea, okay. Just hear me out. If we go out there in a group, we're slow, drawing attention. If I'm alone, I can move fast. Look." Glenn gestured to a map he made on the floor out of office supplies. "That's the tank. Five blocks from where we are now." He put down a binder clip. "That's the bag of guns." He pointed to a paper wad. "Here's the alley I dragged you into when we first met. That's where Daryl and I will go."

"Why me?"

"Your crossbow is quieter than his gun. While Daryl waits here in the alley." Glenn put down post-it bookmarks. "I run up the street, grab the bag."

"You got the rest of us elsewhere?" Rick said confused.

"You, T-Dog, and Jess. You'll be in this alley here." Glenn pointed out on his map.

"Two blocks away. Why?" Rick asked.

"I may not be able to come back the same way. Walkers might cut me off. If that happens, I won't go back to Daryl. I'll go forward instead. All the way around the alley to where you guys are. Whichever direction I go, I got you in both places to cover me. Afterwards we'll all meet back here."

Daryl nodded, looking impressed.

"Hey kid, what'd you do before this?"

"Delivered pizzas. Why?"

We all nodded. I should have always tipped the delivery boy more.

We took our positions and got ready. Glenn dashed out onto the street in the direction of the guns. I breathed slowly while we waited, hoping we'd find Merle after this. Then I'd get to call him stumpy. I was starting to get lost in my thoughts when I heard a voice I didn't recognize.

"Whoa don't shoot me! What do you want?"

I heard Daryl say something that I couldn't make out then the second voice shouted in Spanish. T-Dog, Rick, and I all took off running to the alley where they were. I made it there first to see a primer gray car pulling away and Daryl running towards what looked like a teenager.

Rick pushed Daryl back and told him to stop while T-Dog held the teenager against the wall.

"I'm gonna kick your nuts up into your throat!" Daryl yelled at the boy. "They took Glenn. That little bastard and his little bastard homie friends. I'm gonna stomp your ass!"

Rick was having a little trouble holding Daryl back. I kept my eye on the teenager, ready to bury one of my axes in his back if he took off. I'm getting pretty damn good at throwing them.

"Guys! We're cut off!" T-Dog yelled looking around frantically.

"Get back to the lab! Go!" Rick shouted, picking up the guns.

I followed T-Dog down the alley, back to the building we were in before. Rick and Daryl came in a minute later. We immediately started questioning the teenager.

"Those men you were with, we need to know where they went." Rick said calmly.

"I ain't telling you nothing." The teen replied looking back at Rick.

"Jesus, man. What the hell happened out there?" T-Dog asked.

"I told you. This little turd and his douche bag friends came out of nowhere and jumped me!" Daryl almost yelled in response.

"You're the one that jumpedme, puto, screaming about trying to find his damn brother like it's my fault." The teen said.

"Might want to watch who you call a bitch amigo. Oh that's right. I can be a redneck and know Spanish." I said, stepping towards him.

"They took Glenn. Could have taken Merle too."

"Merle? What kind of hick name is that? I wouldn't name my dog Merle."

I was going to kick him but Daryl beat me to it. Before his boot could connect Rick grabbed him.

"Damn it, Daryl. Back off."

Daryl did back off, surprisingly. He opened Glenn's backpack and started to look through it. He pulled out the bandanna Merle's hand was in and started to unwrap it.

"Want to see what happened to the last guy that pissed me off?"

Daryl threw Merle's hand into the kid's lap and the kid nearly shit himself. He screamed and jumped out of his seat. Not a bad ass gangster anymore huh?

Daryl grabbed ahold of his collar and got in his face.

"I'll start with the feet this time."

Rick hauled him off of him and tried a slightly calmer approach.

"The men you were with took our friend. All we want to do is talk to them. See if we can work something out."

The kid finally relented and lead us where his buddies were. Before we entered the courtyard where the door was we made a plan. Daryl and Rick would go to the door with the teenager while T-Dog and I would be on top of the wall on both sides with rifles. Rick was skeptical at first. But Daryl assured him I was a damn good shot. He did teach me how to shoot after all.

T-Dog and I went to our positions while Daryl and Rick talked to the teenager.

Rick, Daryl, and the teenager walked towards the doors, their weapons pointed at the teen. The door opened a few seconds later and a guy walked out. He looked roughly my age. He was talking to the teenager but I couldn't make out what they were saying. A couple other guys with guns came out. One was yelling something about being shot in the ass with an arrow. I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing.

I steadied my gun and pointed it at who seemed to be the leader's head. Rick glanced up to T-Dog and then me. T-Dog nodded, I blew the guy a kiss. I could see Daryl smirk from here.

Two guys brought Glenn to the edge of the building up top then ripped a pillow case off of his head. His mouth was duct taped and he looked panicked. Some more words were exchanged then they went back inside. The doors closed and I left my spot on the wall.

Back in the lab Rick put the bag of guns on the table and went through them.

"Guns are worth more than gold. Gold won't protect your family or put food on the table. You willing to give that up for a kid?" Daryl asked.

"If I knew we'd get Glenn back, I might agree. But you think that vato across the way is just going to hand him over?" T-Dog agreed.

"Are you calling G a liar?" The teen asked from the floor.

"Are you a part of this discussion? You want to hold onto your teeth" Daryl yelled at him. Then smacked the side of his head.

"Question is, do you trust that man's word?" T-Dog asked Rick.

"No, question is what are you willing to bet on it? Could be more than the guns. Could be your life. Glenn worth that to you?" Daryl asked Rick.

"What life I have I owe to him. I was nobody to Glenn, just some idiot stuck in a tank. He could have walked away, but he didn't. Neither will I." Rick answered.

"So you're just gonna hand the guns over?" I finally asked.

"I didn't say that." Rick answered "There's nothing keeping you three here. You should get out, head back to camp."

"And tell your family what?" T-Dog asked.

Daryl and I nodded our agreement and started loading our guns.

"Come on this is nuts! Just do like G says." The teen said starting to get up. Daryl pushed him back down.

We lead the teenager back to the door. All five of us this time. Guns out and ready. They slid the doors open and we went inside into what kind of looked like a mechanic's shop. G met us in the room.

"I see my guns, but they're not all in the bag." Guillermo said.

"That's because they're not yours. I thought I mentioned that." Rick responded.

"Let's just shoot these fools right now, ese. Alright? Unload on their asses" The guy who took the arrow in the ass suggested.

"I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation." Guillermo said.

"No, I'm pretty clear." Rick cut the tape that bound the teenager's hands. "You have your man. I want mine."

Guillermo stepped forward, obviously angry.

"I'm gonna chop up your boy. I'm gonna feed him to my dogs. They're the evilest nastiest man-eating bitches you ever saw. I picked them up from Satan at a yard sale. I told you how it has to be. Are you woefully deaf?"

"No, my hearing's fine. You said come locked and loaded." Everyone seemed to cock their guns at once. "Okay then, we're here."

I kept my eyes on the guys in front of me. There were way more of them than there were of us. Hopefully I can take out more than a few before I die. But before I got that chance, an older woman shuffled into the room. I immediately lowered my gun.

"Felipe! Felipe!"

"Abuela, go back with the others, now." The man who took the arrow earlier responded.

"Get that old lady out of the line of fire!" Daryl said, voicing my thoughts.

"Abuela, listen to your m'hijo, okay? This is not the place for you right now." G told her.

"Mr. Gilbert is having trouble breathing. He needs his asthma stuff. Carlito didn't find it. He needs his medicine." The old woman said frantically.

"Felipe go take care of it. And take your grandmother with you." Guillermo responded."

Felipe tried to get her to go back, but she resisted.

"Who are these people? Don't you take him. Felipe is a good boy. He have his trouble but he pull himself together. We need him here."

Rick looked confused for a minute but responded

"Ma'am, I'm not here to arrest your grandson."

"Then what do you want him for?" She asked.

"He's...helping us find a missing person. Fella named Glenn."

"The Asian boy? He's with Mr. Gilbert. Come, come. I show you. He needs his medicine."

She turned around and started shuffling away. Daryl looked at me and I shrugged. We followed her into what looked like an infirmary. There were old folks everywhere. She stopped in a very large room with more old folks. Glenn was standing next to an old man who couldn't catch his breath.

"What the hell is this?" Rick asked no one in particular.

"An asthma attack." Glenn answered. "Couldn't get his breath all of a sudden."

"I thought you were being eaten by dogs, man." T-Dog said.

That's when I noticed three chihuahuas in a dog bed. I nearly busted out laughing. They can be ferocious though, so he got that part right. One of them started barking at us. Rick turned to Guillermo.

"Can I have a word with you?" They walked off a few steps and talked in whispered voices.

I looked around at all the old folks and felt my heart break. I couldn't believe anyone would leave them to fend for themselves. After their conversation was done we went into a side room, Glenn joined us.

"What about the rest of your crew?" Rick asked G.

"The vatos trickle in. To check on their parents, their grandparents. They see how things are and most decide to stay. It's a good thing too, we need the muscle. The people we've encountered since things fell apart. The worst kind, plunderers, the kind that take by force." Guillermo answered.

"That's not who we are."

"How was I to know? My people got attacked and you show up with Miguel hostage, appearances."

"Guess the world changed." T-Dog said.

"No. It's the same as it ever was. The weak get taken. So we do what we can here. The vatos work on those cars, talk about getting the old people out of the city. But most can't even get to the bathroom by themselves, so that's just a dream. Still, it keeps the crew busy, and that's worth something. So we barred the windows, welded all the doors shut except for one entrance. The vatos, they go out, scavenge what they can to keep us going. We watch the perimeter day and night and we wait. The people here, they all look to me now. I don't even know why."

"Because they can." Rick answered and handed Guillermo the shotgun he was holding.

He went through the bag of guns and started handing some over to Guillermo. He thanked us and we left in peace. Also with most of our guns. On the way back to the truck Glenn spoke.

"Admit it, you only came back to Atlanta for your hat."

Rick smiled. "Don't tell anybody."

"You've given away half our guns and ammo." Daryl said.

"Not nearly half." Rick told him.

"For what? Bunch of old farts who are gonna die soon anyway? Seriously, how long do you think they got?"

I looked at him disapprovingly and said

"How long do any of us?"

When we got to where the box truck was supposed to be, it was gone.

"Oh my God." Glenn said.

"Where the hell's our van?" Daryl asked.

"We left it right there. Who would take it?" Glenn asked in a panic.

"Merle." Rick answered.

Everyone but Daryl and I looked scared, because we had no reason to be.

"He's gonna be taking some vengeance back to camp." Daryl said.

So we took off on foot, hoping we could get there before he did any damage.

We made it almost to the camp before we heard the screaming and the gunshots. I pulled my shotgun off of my back and hauled ass. We made it to the edge of camp and ran into a mass panic. Everyone was screaming as a herd of walkers stumbled around everywhere. Bodies littered the ground. I started shooting them, trying to take down as many as possible.

Shane was backing most of our group back towards the RV but they were getting outnumbered. The five of us finished off the herd coming through the woods. I looked around trying to take a count of everyone who had been attacked but in the confusion it was difficult. Daryl ran up to me and looked me over, trying to make sure I hadn't been bitten. I did the same with him.

I looked over towards the RV where Andrea and Amy were on the ground. Amy was covered in blood. Daryl grabbed me and held me tight as tears stung my eyes.