Chapter 11

I eventually fell asleep waiting on Daryl to get back. When I woke up he was laying in the bed beside me. I didn't close the curtains last night so the sunshine was pouring in the windows. I looked him over but all he had was a black eye. I got up and went in the kitchen to make coffee and grab some ice for my face. I looked up and Daryl was standing in the doorway.

Daryl-Well you look like death warmed over.
Me-Yeah, tell me about it. So, what happened?
Daryl-Well, me and some guys just gave them what was coming to them is all. They should know better than to pick on you.
Me-You didn't kill them right?
Daryl-No, but I don't think they'll be messing with you again. At least if they know what's good for them they won't.
Me-Ok, so you want me to make some breakfast and then we can head to the station?
Daryl-I'm not all that hungry actually Jess. Coffee will do fine. We can eat when we get back.
Me-Ok but that's gonna be a long trip.
Daryl-I know, I'm fine Jess. You wanna get ready so we can head out?
Me-Sure. But I am not going in there.
Daryl-I want you to. So he can see what he caused and what his dick buddies did to you.
Me-But Daryl, I really don't wanna go in and see that ass hat.
Daryl-Come on Jess. It won't kill you.
Me-But it'll come pretty damn close.
Daryl-For me Jess, please?
Me-Fine. But I'm not being nice.
Daryl-I don't expect you to. Look in my closet when you get in there. I got you something the other day. I really think you're gonna like it.

I walked into his room and pulled back the closet doors. was hanging in Daryl's closet. I took the dress off the hanger and the shoes off the shelf. I changed into the dress and looked at myself in the mirror on Daryl's dresser. I looked in the shoes and there was a pair of cherry earrings inside them. I put the earrings in and pulled on the shoes. I went out to the living room and Daryl whistled at me.

Me-Well thank you. But you didn't have to get me this.
Daryl-I saw it and I knew you'd love it. Besides, it's not as expensive as it looks. I got the dress at a thrift shop, I uh fixed it. It was a little torn and dirty. My dad taught me how to sew up wounds and mend my shirts when they got tore. I washed it and now it's same as new. The earrings weren't all that expensive and the shoes were some my mom had.
Me-Daryl-You are the best.
Daryl-Thanks, it was no problem. Ready to head out?
Me-Yeah, just let me brush my hair out. Sometimes curls are a curse.

When I was done brushing my hair out we walked to the bus station. Hard to do in heels but I got through it. We got our tickets and waited 30 minutes for our bus. When it pulled up to the station we got on and grabbed two seats in the back.

Daryl-Got a long way to go now.
Me-Yeah, know.
Daryl-This ride is going to suck so much. How's your face?
Me-It's better, most of the swelling has gone down as you can see. My lip still hurts but it is busted. How's your eye?
Daryl-I can barely feel it. Merle's gonna think we beat the shit outta each other.
Me-Yeah, so what'd you say to him yesterday. After I left?
Daryl-Basically that I hated him and that it'd be a cold day in hell before I came to see him.
Me-But here we are.
Daryl-Yeah, I know. I just don't wanna go without seeing him, you know? He's a horrible son of a bitch but he's still my big brother.
Me-Yeah, I know Daryl. I just wish he could be more like you.
Daryl-I think that's why you like him so much though. Because he's not like me, he's a challenge.
Me-Maybe. I'm gonna take a nap I think. I'm still sleepy.
Daryl-Alright Jess.

I woke up on Daryl's shoulder while he shook my arm. I opened my eyes and we were at a bus stop in Atlanta. We got off the bus and I grabbed a map from the station.

Me-Ok, so the base is not too far from here.
Daryl-How far?
Me-About 3 miles.
Daryl-Not too bad. I'll have time to stretch my legs.

We started walking and got there pretty soon. We went in and told why we were there. They directed us to a waiting room where we had to wait to be called back. Roughly 15 minutes later a man called our names and we went into a room that reminded me of a prison visitation room. I had to see my uncle in one once. We sat down and waited a few minutes until I heard a door open. In walked Merle with an Army guard behind him. He had cuffs on him and the guard was holding his arms behind his back. He looked at us and smiled.

Merle-Hey sugar britches. I knew you'd come see me.