Chapter 25

The next day we buried Lily and Mark as soon as it was daylight. We haven't had any undead visitors so far. I'd like to keep it that way until we can get a move on. We had a short service for our loved ones. I wish we could have stayed longer for Daryl's sake but I think it's best to stay on the move to try to find a shelter or something similar. After we gathered some food we took one last long look at the house that was my sanctuary all those years ago. We got in the truck and headed off for Daryl's house. I watched the house grow smaller until it disappeared from the back glass of the truck.

When we got to Daryl's house Merle decided to go on to our house since it would be an emotional thing for Daryl. If you know Merle he isn't very comfortable with those situations. Our house is just down the road, so he walked. I went inside with Daryl, armed with my shotgun in case there were any unpleasant surprises waiting. The house was clear. The doors were still locked and the house was untouched. The living room walls were covered with art and pictures of Daryl and Lily. I felt my heart break as I walked around looking at their happy moments captured on film. Daryl went to his room to get his clothes and other things he'd need. When he came out with a suitcase he sat down on the couch and put his head in his hands.

"It feels like the entire world has been jerked out from under my feet."

"I know."

"None of this feels real. This morning I was so fucking confused. I was expecting to wake up from this nightmare. I thought I'd wake up with my arm around her then get up for work. But I woke up on Mark's couch."

"I don't know what to say Daryl."

"There's nothing to say. We can't change what happened. Go on to the truck. I'll be there in a minute."

I tried to give Daryl a look that told him everything would be ok. Then I walked to the truck and got behind the steering wheel. Daryl shouldn't be driving. He came out a little bit later with the suitcase and a couple gas cans. He put the stuff in the back and got in. We drove to my house, Daryl stayed in the truck. I left my gun in the truck since Merle was already inside. I walked in the door but didn't see Merle. I went down the hall to our room ad opened the door. I should have realized, that the door shouldn't have been closed.

Merle was in there. With our neighbor's wife. In our bed. IN OUR FUCKING BED. Merle looked up at me when he heard the door open, shocked. Like he was the one who was being stabbed in the back. There was a half empty bottle of Jack on the nightstand and I could smell it on his breath from the door. I grabbed the closest thing to me, a picture of Merle and myself not long after we got together, and flung it at him. It his his forehead and it started bleeding. He had the nerve to get up, pants still around his ankles and speak to me. He put his hands up.

"Jess let's be honest here. I wasn't expecting you back so soon. If you wouldn't have came back so soon you wouldn't have seen this."

His words were slurred . I felt my stomach acid rise and my blood boil. I screamed at him despite my efforts of trying to hold it together.

"How dare you! You cheating bastard! How dare you try to blame me! You should thank God I left my gun in the truck!"

Before I realized what was going on I had crossed the room. I grabbed his whore by the hair and slung her into the dresser. I started hitting Merle, sobbing and screaming words that I couldn't even make out. A pair of strong arms grabbed me around my waist and pulled me away from Merle. I heard Daryl shout from behind me.

"Get out of here Merle! Go! I can't hold her back forever. Get your shit, take your bitch and go!'

Merle listened to Daryl's words. Daryl hauled me out of the room. He practically carried me into the bathroom and locked the door. He let me go but stood in front of the door so I couldn't get out.

"Let me out of here Goddamnit!"

"No. I won't let you kill him. He may be the world's biggest jerk but you can't. I'm not losing anyone else."

His last words pulled me out of my rage enough to stop screaming. I sat down on the cold floor and tried to breathe.

"How could he do this to me?"

I was speaking to myself but Daryl answered anyway.

"I don't know Jess. I don't know."

"The saddest part is I knew. I could just tell. I could feel it. This wasn't the first time he cheated Daryl."

"I figured as much."

"She's half my age."

"And a junkie just like him. They deserve each other."

"This was the first time I'd ever saw it with my own eyes. I'd seen text messages, overheard phone calls, and caught him in lies. But never this. This makes it real."

"He'll take off on his motorcycle and you won't have to see him for a while."

"He'll leave with her."

"I know. But he won't keep her around."

We heard Merle's motorcycle roar to life outside and I stood up. After the sound of it's engine faded Daryl unlocked the door. I walked into the bedroom and stood there for a minute. The closet door was open and all the dresser drawers were almost pulled out of their slots. I looked in the closet for a suitcase and filled it. Hardly able to see through the tears in my eyes. I didn't take any pictures. Nothing to remember the good times that were like a rowboat in a sea of bad. I walked out the door and got in the truck with Daryl. Thankful that my mom isn't here to see me making the same mistakes she did. She doesn't have to see what the world is coming to either. When we left my house, i didn't look back.