Chapter 31

We were still on our way back to camp but we hadn't seen any sign of Sophia yet. Or Rick and Shane for that matter. We heard a gunshot but since Rick and Shane both have guns it was most likely one of them. Lori was worried about it anyway, which is very understandable.

"Are you still worrying about it?" Andrea asked her after she'd stopped again.

"It was a gunshot." Lori replied.

"We all heard it." Daryl told her.

"Why one? Why just the one gunshot?" Lori asked him.

"Maybe they took down a walker." He suggested.

"Please don't patronize me. You know Rick would not risk a gunshot to put down one walker. Or Shane, they'd do it quietly." Lori replied.

"Shouldn't they have caught up with us by now?" Carol asked.

"There's nothing we can do about it anyway." Daryl told them. "Can't run around these woods chasing echoes."

"So what do we do then?" Lori asked.

"Same as we've been. Beat the bush for Sophia, work our way back to the highway." Daryl told her.

"I'm sure they'll hook up with us back at the RV." Andrea assured her.

Lori finally relented then we moved on a few steps. We stopped when we heard Carol speak.

"The thought of her out here by herself... it's the not knowing that's killing me. I just keep hoping and praying that she don't end up like Amy."

Andrea stared at Carol, eyes widened. Carol realized her error.

"Oh God. That's the worst thing I ever said." Carol said, grabbing Andrea's hands.

"We're all hoping and praying with you, for what it's worth." Andrea told Carol.

"I'll tell you what it's worth, not a damn thing." Daryl said stepping forward. "It's a waste of time all this hoping and praying. 'Cause we're gonna locate that little girl, she's gonna be just fine. Am I the only one zen around here?"

Which of course got a snicker from me. Daryl is rarely zen.

"Good Lord." Daryl added walking away.

We were still slowly making our way back to camp. Since we have to look for Sophia while we walk, we're moving a lot slower than we normally would.

"We'll lose the light before too long. I think we should call it." Daryl announced.

"Let's head back." I agreed.

"We'll pick it up again tomorrow?" Carol asked.

"Yeah, we'll find her tomorrow." Lori assured her.

Daryl let out a short whistle, one of our calls, then we started back on our way.

We were getting closer and closer to the camp. Since we're moving faster, we'll be there in a few minutes.

"How much farther?" Lori asked.

"Not much. Maybe 100 yards as the crow flies." Daryl replied.

"Too bad we're not crows." Andrea said.

We kept going. You'll never make it to your destination if you stop. When we heard Andrea scream. We ran in the direction her screams were coming from to find her lying on the ground in front of a walker. She was doing her best to keep it away from her.