Chapter 56

I woke up later that night or earlier that morning. I couldn't tell, but I knew it was pitch black outside. I heard whispers and hushed voices coming a few cells down from mine. I reached over to wake Merle up when it hit me. He's dead. I sat up and started to get up. A pounding headache made me go right back down. Then I heard shuffling footsteps and saw a flashlight. Daryl was standing in my cell door. He came over to the bed and sat down beside me.

"We're gonna give the Governor a surprise." He said in a hushed voice.

"I want him dead. I want to cut his chest open and rip his heart out." I told him, hardly believing the words that were coming out of my mouth.

"You're not fighting Jess. You're still grieving." Daryl said softly, putting his hand on my knee.

"I don't feel anything right now. I need to fight. I need to rip that bastard's head off." I said calmly.

"It's too big of a risk. I can't let you." Daryl told me.

"I have to risk it. It's worth the risk if I can kill him. Well worth the risk. You can't stop me from being a part of this, Daryl."

"I know. Rest up, we're gonna pack up our stuff in the morning." Daryl said before he walked back out of my cell.

But I couldn't sleep, so I gathered my clothes and Merle's. I kept one of his shirts out and laid back down. I held his shirt close to my face and tried not to sob too loudly.

When it was daylight out I pulled on my jacket and put the rest of my stuff in the bag. Without even looking at myself in the mirror I could tell I looked like hell. I walked out in the yard where everyone else was and put my stuff in one of the vehicles. Carol approached me and put her hands on my shoulders. She pulled me into a hug but didn't say anything. She know just as well as anyone that there's nothing to say.

The people from Woodbury weren't expecting the prison to be empty when they arrived. They also weren't expecting us to be waiting in the tombs, but we were. We threw smoke bombs and everyone freaked out like we knew they would. These people are civilians, not soldiers. As the people fled from the prison Maggie and Glenn fired at them from one of the walkways. Only the Governor's loyal dogs stayed to return fire, everyone else hauled ass. When he and his dogs realized they were being left behind they turned tail and ran too. Merle would have been proud.

We all came out of our hiding spots and gathered at the prison's main gate.

"We did it. We drove them out." Rick announced.

"We should follow them." Michonne said.

"We should finish it." Daryl agreed.

"It is finished." Maggie told them. "Didn't you see them hightail it out of here?"

"They could regroup." Michonne told her.

"We can't take the chance. He's not gonna stop." Glenn told Maggie.

I nodded my agreement. The evil son of a bitch needs to die, today.

"They're right. We can't keep living like this." Carol agreed.

"So we take the fight back to Woodbury. We barely made it back last time." Maggie argued.

"He don't care." Daryl told her, shaking his head.

We went back in C block to check the damage and make sure everyone that was hid in the woods was okay. Hershel, Carl, and Beth carrying the baby came from the other side of the prison. We're still whole, for the most part.

Rick, Michonne, and Daryl are heading back to Woodbury. I wanted to go but the longer I was on my feet, the weaker I felt. Daryl gave me a hug before he got on his motorcycle.

"He's gonna be sorry he ever fucked with the Dixons." Daryl promised me.

"Be careful, please. I can't lose you too." I told him.

"You won't. Go, get some rest. I'll be back before you know it." He said as he climbed on his motorcycle and followed Rick and Michonne.

I got my stuff out of the vehicle and went back into C block. I wanted to help keep watch but an overwhelming weariness was settling over me. I stumbled up to my cell and passed out in my bed. Thankful for sleep, the only time my heart didn't hurt was when I was unconscious.

When I finally woke up again, I must have slept for a long time. My entire body was sore and Daryl was pacing the floor beside my bed. When he saw my eyes open he knelt down beside the bed.

"You've been asleep over twelve hours." Daryl informed me.

I nodded my head. That sounded about right.

"You missed a few things while you were out." Daryl said.

"What happened?" I asked and sat up quickly, my head narrowly missing the metal bars over my head.

"Nothing bad. We took in the people from Woodbury." Daryl announced, rubbing his neck.

"The same ones who tried to kill us?" I asked

"Technically, no. These are all children and older folks. Tyreese and Sasha were with them too."

"What happened to the people that attacked us? And the Governor, is he dead?" I asked.

"We found all of the civilians dead except for one person. She said the Governor gunned them down when they left the prison and then took off." Daryl answered, looking grim.

"Jesus Christ." I said, laying back down.

"You wanna meet 'em?" Daryl asked.

"No. Where are they staying?"

"D block. Everyone else is over there getting it set up. Rick sent me back over here to check on you. I was thinking about going to get Hershel when you woke up." Daryl answered.

"I don't want to be around new people right now. I'll meet them eventually I'm sure." I said as I turned over to face the wall.

"You want to get up and get something to eat?" Daryl asked softly.

"I'm not hungry." I told him.

"Jess, you haven't eaten in going on two days." Daryl said sternly.

"I'll be okay." I assured him.

I heard him sigh before he walked out of my cell.