Chapter 38

A cracking noise startled me awake. I was hanging by my seat belt and sore all over. I looked around to try to figure out what was going on. I remember hitting the walker, then feeling the car flip. Lori was underneath me, still unconscious. The cracking sound was coming from her side of the car but I couldn't see what it was. I tried to reach Lori to shake her awake but because of the way I was hanging I couldn't. So I grabbed the back of the seat with one arm and unbuckled my belt with the other. I nearly fell on top of Lori. I saw what the source of the noise was, a walker. It was trying to get in the car through the busted front windshield. I put one foot on the side of Lori's seat and nudged her with the other. Her eyes snapped open immediately. When she looked ahead and saw the walker she screamed.

The walker had gotten it's face through the glass. Lori was starting to freak out.

"Calm down. I'm going to try to go out through the passenger door. You can follow me out and we'll kill the walker." I told her in a whisper.

I stepped onto the console, pulled the door handle, and pushed. Doors are a hell of a lot heavier from this angle. While I was trying to get the door open Lori was searching frantically for her gun. The walker broke through more and grabbed her hair. I held onto the passenger seat and stomped my foot into it's face. While it was distracted Lori broke off the turn signal switch and stabbed it in the eye socket. I gave her a thumbs up and continued trying to open up the door. I finally got the door open and got us both out. Lori found the pistol before getting out of the car. Two more walkers approached us. I buried my ax in the head of one and Lori shot the other. Then I collapsed on the pavement, my legs shaking like crazy.

Daryl's POV

Back at camp.

Ungrateful. All of 'em are. Even Jess, who I thought would be the one person to have my back. Guess not.

I was fixing myself supper when Carol ran into my camp. Wonder what they want from me this time.

"We can't find Lori and the others aren't back yet either." She said.

"That dumb bitch must've gone off looking for 'em." I told her.

"What?" She asked.

"Yeah, she asked me to go. Told her I was done being an errand boy."

"And you didn't say anything?"

"Is Jess at Hershel's?" I asked her instead of answering.

"No. I thought she was here with you."

"She must have went with the bitch then. They're still not back?"

"No." She said before turning around and walking away. She stopped before she got too far and came back. "Don't do this. Please. I've already lost my girl."

"That wasn't my problem neither." I said getting up and walking away.

These people think that I have to do every single fucking thing for them! They can't do shit without coming to me for help. Like a bunch of fucking infants.

The more I thought about it, the more worried about Jess I got. I saw Shane walking to his car so I ran to the main camp.

"I want to help you look for them." I offered, out of breath.

"No, you've done enough today." Shane said.

"But Jess is with her." I tried reasoning.

"I'll find them both." Shane said coldly before getting in his car and driving off.

I stayed at the main camp watching the road for Shane's car to come back.