Chapter 45

It's been a week since the two inmates moved into D block. So far we haven't had any problems with them. Today we're moving the big prison bus out of the way and parking our vehicles out of sight. We don't want any unwelcome visitors to know we're here. Better for them to think this place is completely overrun by walkers. Then we have to burn all the walkers we've killed, they're starting to reek. Rick was going over this after we moved the bus.

"Where's Glenn and Maggie?" Carol asked. "We could use some help."

"Up in the guard tower." Daryl said, pointing.

"Guard tower?" Rick asked. "They were just up there last night."

"Glenn! Maggie!" Daryl yelled.

About a minute later Glenn stepped through the door at the top of the guard tower. He was shirtless and buttoning his pants.

"Hey! What's up guys?" Glenn asked, trying to be casual.

We all laughed. At least someone is enjoying themselves.

"You coming?" Daryl asked him.

"What?" Glenn replied, confused.

Which only made us laugh harder.

"You coming?" Daryl repeated. "Come on, we could use a hand."

"Yeah, we'll be right down." Glenn told us.

Daryl, Rick, Carol, and I were walking back to the gate when T-Dog stopped.

"Hey Rick?" He asked, looking at the other side of the prison yard.

We all turned to look in that direction and saw Oscar and Axel approaching the fence.

Rick started walking towards them. "Come with me." He told us.

So we did. Daryl, T-Dog and myself followed him to the inmates.

"That's close enough." Rick told them as they were walking towards us. "We had an agreement."

"Please, mister. We know that. We made a deal. But you gotta understand... we can't live in that place another minute. You follow me? All the bodies... people we knew. Blood, brains everywhere. There's ghosts." Axel responded.

As Axel was speaking, Glenn and Maggie came out of the guard tower.

"Why don't you just move the bodies out?" T-Dog asked him. "You should be burning them.

"We tried. We did." Axel answered.

"The fence is down on the far side of the prison. Every time we drag a body out, those things just line up. Dropping the body and just running back inside." Oscar informed us.

"Look, we had nothing to do with Tomas and Andrew. Nothing." Axel said, coming closer. "You trying to prove a point? You proved it, bro. We'll do whatever it takes to be part of your group. Just please, please... don't make us live in that place."

"Our deal is nonnegotiable." Rick replied coldly. "You either live in your cell block, or you leave."

"I told you this was a waste of time. They ain't no different than the pricks who shot up our boys. You know how many friend's corpses we had to drag out this week? Just throw 'em out, like. These were good guys. Good guys who had our backs against the really bad dudes in the joint, like Tomas and Andrew. We've all made mistakes to get in here, chief. And I'm not gonna pretend to be a saint, but believe me... we've paid our due. Enough that we would rather hit that road than go back in that shithole." Oscar said boldly.