Chapter 24

I ran as fast as my tired legs would carry me to the house. Daryl was standing in the living room with his hands over his face. I looked across the room where Lily was lying, missing her throat in a pool of blood. I heard an awful sound coming from the dining room and crept past Daryl to peek through the door. There was a zombie in there. It was Mark. Merle came up behind me and laid his hand on my back. I stepped out of the way and he went in. He took his pistol out and pointed it at Mark's head.

"Don't look darlin'."

I squeezed my eyes shut tight and put my hands over my ears. There was a deafening bang then the awful sound was gone. I turned around and Daryl was down on the floor beside Lily's body. He wasn't speaking, he barely looked like he was breathing. Merle grabbed my hand.

"Let's step outside for a minute."

I followed him out the front door. When we got to the truck I gave him a hug. He hugged me back tightly. After a few minutes of embracing each other Merle pulled away. He sat down on the tailgate of the truck and I leaned against the side.

"I'm sorry I can't do the things for you he did for her."

"It's just who you are Merle. I really want to talk about this. But we need to check on Daryl."

He nodded and walked towards the house, I followed. When I opened the door I could Daryl's sobs. They broke my heart. I can't imagine losing Merle. He's no Prince Charming but he's always been here for me. He really does love me. He's a different person when he's alone with me and I think it scares him. His super macho hard ass personality gets in the way of his feelings.

I sat down in the floor beside Daryl and put my hand on his back. I knew I couldn't make him feel him better, but he needs to know we're still here. Merle sure as hell isn't gonna hug him. I stood up after what felt like forever.

"Come on Daryl, let's go smoke. I know it won't take your pain away but it's a start."

He had stopped sobbing. He just nodded and Merle helped him up. We sat on the front porch and smoked as we watched the sun go down.

"I really hate to have to talk about this but we need a plan. We can stay here tonight, try to board up the downstairs windows. Then in the morning we bury Lily and go to your house then mine and Merle's to pack clothes. I don't think we should stay in Savannah. We should go on, see if there's somewhere we can get help or something. But we should vote on it."

Daryl just gave a slight nod but Merle spoke.

"That's as good a plan as any. There's nothing we can do here to help."

"I wanna bury her in the shade of that big oak tree in the backyard. That's where I kissed her the first time."

After Daryl spoke he got up and went back in the house. Merle and I went to the shed behind the house to get stuff to board up the windows. Also to make sure there was at least one shovel in there. We had everything we needed so we went back inside. Daryl was standing by the front door, crossbow in hand. I froze, thinking for a minute that he planned to use it on us. There were tears running down his face. The crossbow was pointed across the room.

Lily was sitting up and growling. Her eyes weren't the lively green they were. They looked empty. Her skin had already started to rot. Merle put down the boards in his arms and took out his pistol. I grabbed Daryl's arm and pulled him outside. I hugged him and rubbed his back even after the gunshot went off. I finally stepped away from him and he looked broken. He didn't look like my best friend anymore. His eyes were swollen and puffy. The stress from today had aged his face a few years.

"We can stay at mine and Merle's house tonight."

"No. I want to stay here with her. She would stay with me, so I'm gonna do the same."

"Alright. Lay down on the couch and try to rest. Me and Merle will board up the windows."

"No I'll help."

"Daryl you look like you need rest. I got this. It's gonna be okay."

He started to argue again but stopped himself. He laid down on the couch with his boots still on facing the back of the couch. I picked up the hammer and nails then joined Merle by the windows.

When all the downstairs windows and doors were boarded up we went back to living room. Daryl was laying on the couch staring at the ceiling.

"Me and Merle are gonna go to bed. We'll be in Mark's room I guess. Are you gonna stay down here?"

"Probably. I doubt I'll do any sleeping. I'll try to keep watch."

"You don't have to, it'd take a SWAT team to get in here."

"Thank ya'll."

"Anything for you Daryl."

He gave me a small smile. Merle and I headed upstairs to the bedroom. Mark's room is the only room with a bed bigger than a twin in it. I pulled off my shirt and jeans. I could never sleep fully clothed. I usually sleep in one of Merle's t-shirts. I settled in next to Merle and laid my head on his arm.

"So you wanna talk now?"

"Yes."

"I want to be a better man for you."

"I know."

"But I can't. I try so damn hard Jess. I want to stay off of the drugs for good but I can't."

"When this is all over you can try rehab?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't want a bunch of head shrinkers messing with me."

"Well you can't do this on your own."

"Why can't I?"

"It's been twenty years Merle. Twenty years and you still haven't kicked the drugs. Or the women, for the point."

"They don't mean anything to me."

"Then why do you keep doing it?"

"I don't know."

I let out a sigh and covered my face with my hands. Merle leaned over me and kissed my head.

"I'm sorry baby. I don't deserve you."

I turned to face him and looked into his eyes.

"Damn right you don't."